1976 Engine Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the camp that it is just plain easier to take the radiator off to do the timing belts. For me, it is not worth the bloody knuckles and aggravation trying to reach in there to remove the covers and try to work on the belts. I felt like I was going to commit hari kari trying to get the timing cover seals to stay in place while trying to put them back on with the radiator in place. (I dun shot that horse...) :hihihi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170000#p170000:1stpyhic said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:43 am[/url]":1stpyhic]
I am in the camp that it is just plain easier to take the radiator off to do the timing belts. For me, it is not worth the bloody knuckles and aggravation trying to reach in there to remove the covers and try to work on the belts. I felt like I was going to commit hari kari trying to get the timing cover seals to stay in place while trying to put them back on with the radiator in place. (I dun shot that horse...) :hihihi:

I am with you Gerri. The only reason I got the thing was so I could get them off and run the bike with the radiator in place to try and diagnose where the leak was actually coming from. At this point I can yank the Rad off in about 5 minutes anyway...

Some leave the two bolts behind radiator out after the first time removal of covers. :shock: Making future removal of covers a lot easier, :roll: glued to covers seals will stay in place. :yes: But i agree take radiator loose do it that way. Don't like the idea of leaving bolts out of reassembly process myself, :nea: tool looked like junk to me first time i saw it. :whistling:Keep up the great work :good:

Don't cha just hate junk tools?
Bruise caus'in, blood lett'in, cuss word perfect'in, furious anger generating cheap tools. :rant:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170015#p170015:3tams4ms said:
Terry » 32 minutes ago[/url]":3tams4ms]
Don't cha just hate junk tools?
Bruise caus'in, blood lett'in, cuss word perfect'in, furious anger generating cheap tools. :rant:
:smilie_happy: Yeah I have a few of those still. They get pitched in the garbage as I can buy better to replace them.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170002#p170002:3c355qk7 said:
Denver » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:05 am[/url]":3c355qk7]
Some leave the two bolts behind radiator out after the first time removal of covers. :shock: Making future removal of covers a lot easier, :roll: glued to covers seals will stay in place. :yes: But i agree take radiator loose do it that way. Don't like the idea of leaving bolts out of reassembly process myself, :nea: tool looked like junk to me first time i saw it. :whistling:Keep up the great work :good:
i leave the two inner bolts out of the front covers. had no problems so far. don't forsee any. :BigGrin: i have seen similar tools to the one mentioned, it just looks a little flimsy.

OK so for an update.

Last Sunday I pulled the radiator and replaced my seal with an original Honda seal. For the time being its not leaking any oil for the first time since I have owned it :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: Minor as the oil leak was it was very irritating so hopefully :beg: its all taken care of. The charging system is definitely working so there are no issues there to report on. I am going to top the battery with some distilled water this weekend and set my charger to "recondition" and see if I can get another season out of this battery.

On Tuesday this week I rode the bike to my Dads house on a little test run. I was not able to really feel any performance difference from the ring job on the ride there. On the ride home, it was as if I could feel the moment the rings bedded in. There is about 30 miles since the rebuild and about half way home, man I could feel a difference just like flipping a switch. I was so excited I took her on my "southern loop" rout by my house with some nice country straight aways so I could open her up a little. I am feeling some difference in the throttle for sure. Im going to run it some more before I do a compression test and let everything really seat properly, then I will report back my findings and we shall see if the juice was worth the squeeze.

Have a great holiday weekend every one!

Know the feeling!! :music:

I used to ride my '82 around town and short hops on the road and then I took a long highway trip at a sustained 75 MPH and about 2 hours into the trip, it seemed like a whole different engine! Opening her up and letting that metal get hot under load made a huge difference! I have since learned that my girl likes the highway speeds much more than putting around town. :yes: :moped:

Glad your careful work is paying off! :good: Hate fixing someone else's work, :sensored: your leak should be a thing of the past. :yes: Another of the things that well raise it's head to be fixed. :whistling:

Latest posts