1976 Engine Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we finally got the motor split apart! Took some thought and had to make a couple things, then wait for the weather to warm up a bit. We got it done last night. Let me tell ya, there would have been no way to split it apart without a rig like this. We had to put quite a bit of tension on the boards and heat the seem along the bottom edge of the block with a heat gun. When it finally have the bottom seem opened up about 2". Thats a lot of tension. Anyway, enjoy the pics. I hope they can help someone in the future.

I will be posting a video showing the pistons and the rings. They all look pretty good though, but I still believe they are the issue. Certainly not froze in place though.

More to come.

Im also not convinced Im the first one inside this motor either.

Attachments

• iPad Cache 068.JPG
    iPad Cache 068.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 142
  • iPad Cache 069.JPG
    iPad Cache 069.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 141
  • iPad Cache 070.JPG
    iPad Cache 070.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 140
  • iPad Cache 071.JPG
    iPad Cache 071.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 138
Did you find gasket sealant around the base? That sure was a lot of pressure! I have split two cases here and both only took a little bit of tapping and a wooden wedge to come apart.

There was some sealant around the base. There was very little on the front seam of the motor, which is why I believe the oil leak I had was actually leaking from the split line of the engine. I had replaced the cam seals and the crank seal and was still getting oil inside of my belt housing area. I thought perhaps it was the seal but I have installed 100's of seals. I now believe it was leaking on the split line. So worst case scenario, I will fix that... :smilie_happy:

It did take way more pressure than I would have thought to get that engine to split. Although, the front of the motor began to split very easily, lack of sealant. But boy howdy was it stuck along the bottom...

That,s yet another GREAT example of using of what's around, :yes: then your left with another tool, in your bag of tricks when done, nice work! :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166342#p166342:3dno001h said:
julimike54 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:08 am[/url]":3dno001h]
Nice tool!
+1 :good:

Enjoy some pictures of progress...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 138
The piston rings look surprisingly good, but that doesn't mean they are ok. The definitely show wear in the end gaps. All the gaps are pushing .030" which is the service limit. If that gap increases it means that the od of the ring has decreased. I believe at some point this motor got way too hot. It explains the oil leak on the case split line, the blown head gaskets I had, the low compression and warn rings, and I believe the cylinder walls are "glazed". This is preventing the rings from sealing properly. Also the oil controll rings were all kinda stuck a bit. I believe a good honing and fresh rings allowed to bed properly is just what the doctor ordered.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 135
Videos are great. Nice job.

I think the large end gap is normal because as the rings wear that gap increases but yeah, too large and compression is lost. Could be where the low compression is from? Rings certainly look free in the grooves.

I am not a mechanic, but it seems to me the piston skirt has a lot of wear. Did you get a chance to mic the skirts? On my worn out '81 engine, they were way out of tolerance and looked very similar to yours. My bearings were most definitely shot! I had so much movement, you could measure it with a ruler! :shock: :hihihi:

image.php

Latest posts