1976 Engine Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

There are 19 bolts on the right side and 3 bolts on the left side. All 22 bolts are accounted for and in my cardboard template that I made to ensure all the bolts are accounted for. The side with 19 bolts lifts off of the side with 3 bolts (right comes off the left).

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165896#p165896:3ciiadg6 said:
joedrum » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:06 am[/url]":3ciiadg6]
yes i agree either way...just didnt like the steal part you said as it is harder than block bronko i wouldnt chance that ...this is head gasket surface

4x4 wood it is Joe. Good lookin out buddy...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165903#p165903:3mpo9ueb said:
dan filipi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:26 am[/url]":3mpo9ueb]
Are you getting that bolt count from a manual?
Should Visually double check no bolts are still in.

Yes its from the manual. Yes I also looked to be sure....

Yall making me doubt myself, lol. I will give it a good look over again when I get home but Im 99.9999999% sure. Was 100% but ur all making me paranoid, :smilie_happy:

More times than i care to remember, :blush: overlook something really simple, :headscratch: that any moron would see. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165903#p165903:2ulnu7ae said:
dan filipi » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:26 am[/url]":2ulnu7ae]
Are you getting that bolt count from a manual?
Should Visually double check no bolts are still in.
+1

i am guilty of missing one the first time i split an engine. the one at the top of the left hand case... whacking away and cursing it. :smilie_happy:
had a rest and then found it. :sensored:
if you have them all out ., it will move eventually.

I put new rings in my 1100 recently. Split the cases by carefully tapping a wood chisel into the joint in different spots around the block. Once it opens up slightly in one spot you have it beat.

The only thing tricky about reringing these flat fours is putting the two halves back together.

Brian

There are spots around there perimeter where one side of the block is exposed...that is a good spot for the chisel rather than trying to put it in where both halves are flush. Also at front or back of block it is thicker material so stronger.

Good stuff Canux.

I am making a fixture that will bolt to the faces where the heads of using the head bolts. I'll use some all thread and nuts to spread the two halves. Will be fun. I'll send pix of the whole deal but I won't make the fixture till next week. Gonna use my machines and end up with a tool that can be used again. Maybe help others in the future.

Canux, why did u re ring and did u notice significant improvements?

I derang because I had low compression (in the 140's). I can't really tell you the result yet because I just got it running again on Thursday and now am on vacation. It started right up and seems to run good in the driveway. But it's dead of winter here so won't be able to do a road test today till spring. Will do a comp test when I get home and report.

The old ring had end gaps in the .015" - .017" range so, to me that would account for the low comp. I fit the new rings to .007" - .008". I used Chevy Tracker rings from Rockauto for $37 for the whole set so it was not expensive. Reused bearings.

Brian

Hmm, $37 per cylinder right? Or $37 for the engine? I have a supply er for OEM rings for $40 a set. So would be $160 for the motor.

My compression is way lower than that...lol

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166004#p166004:1y7ayo38 said:
canuckxxxx » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:23 am[/url]":1y7ayo38]
1100's have a 75mm bore which is the same as a 2000 Tracker 1600 and the rings are the same thickness. Others have done this before me.

Is there any sorcery out there like that for the 1000s?

yes, Hastings make a set of rings that fit the 1000. i believe they are 6116 Hastings rings.( better to check ) to fit a 72 mm bore. :BigGrin: i used them on my first engine refresh i did. they are cast rings.
original Honda are chrome, or have a chrome band on them . the general agreement on the difference is this. the chrome take longer to seat in , but will last longer than the cast. the cast rings bed in really quickly. apparently..... :BigGrin: