'78 - pinched another loaf - Johnny 5!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went down to the garage at halftime of the UT/IU game to take a few pictures of where it is now. Ended up removing the trees, bearing races, disconnected the U-joint and dropped the swing arm. All that is left is to unbolt and pick the frame up off of the engine. I'll have the wife help with that probably. She helped me put the frame back on the Hunley.

DSC07900.JPG

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215221#p215221:1o2jmbke said:
pidjones » Yesterday, 10:48 pm[/url]":1o2jmbke]
... I'll have the wife help with that probably. She helped me put the frame back on the Hunley.
That's a good woman. :good:

Well, didn't need help taking the frame off the motor (and she is busy taking down Christmas decorations and storing them). Came off easy. Flipped the frame over to inspect the center stand mount cross-bar. Looks bad. Rusted and ripped. But, I have the 1979 frame in the shed that has a good cross-bar (and some added gussets that the '78 doesn't have). I have a friend nearby that I think will do the welding for me. Meanwhile, the carbs will go in the new US cleaner next week.
DSC07908.JPG
DSC07912.JPG
DSC07922.JPG

These are the 16 screws that were holding the float bowls on. Need to order some more Helicoils!
Where's Waldo for tonight - can you find the correct screw?
DSC07972.JPG

Discovered the carb rack on this '78 is actually from a '77. Got the piston out of the rear MC and the rest looks Ok. Helicoil kit came in so I can repair the 15 out of 16 float bowl screw threads that had sheet metal or wood screws in them. Took the frame and a '79 frame to a buddy's who will cut the center stand mount cross member from the '79 and weld it to the '78.

Oh yeah! Rick did a great job on the frame. Cut the old bad section out and corresponding section from the donor frame (including the gussets) and welded them in. As soon as I got it home, I wiped it down with alcohol and hit it with some etching primer in the repair area. Took the front MC apart and was able to just clean it up and put it back together with the original pistons and such. Seems to be fine. Just had to make a new reservoir o-ring for it. While at it, made a new reservoir o-ring for the rear MC. Kit for the rear MC came in today, so I have all of the parts except for front brake hoses to do all of the braking system. Also have everything to assemble the carbs, but I'm waiting to see what the rack that a guy is giving me looks like. It is a '78 set so should work with the engine better. Been thinking about maybe a two-tone when painting the plastic weather gets here.
DSC07977.JPG
DSC07978.JPG

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215265#p215265:2lwuyagh said:
pidjones » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:02 am[/url]":2lwuyagh]
Retired nuclear welder from Oak Ridge area did them for me. Said it was a challenge but interesting.
:good: :salute:

Yesterday, I finished cleaning and assembling rear caliper, both front calipers, and the rear master. Also cleaned the contacts on the fuel gauge pickup, drained the tank, sprayed it with fogging oil, and stored it in the shed. Pieces slowly getting ready. Striping and painting still to do, but I'm constrained by weather since most of that has to go outdoors. Might dig out the harness and start on it soon.

Spent the morning cleaning, removing rust with the wire wheel in the drill press, taping off the motor in preparation for Gunk treatment (when it warms enough for me to take it outside for the hose-off). The clutch actuator cover was missing from this one. Luckily, I had one from the junker, but had to add gromets and center tubes that make the bolts that hold it on like "setting bolts" - made from left-over bathroom plumbing parts. The rear tire on this is "just" a ten year-old Dunlop. I might just leave it, replace the front, and warn any buyer that a rear is due. I cleaned the rear hub and wheel. Still need to clean the rear drive and swingarm, which is always fun. I guess the wiring harness needs to get laid out and gone over next. Not much else to do until weather changes. That could be next week or four months the way East Tennessee weather goes.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215315#p215315:1yil2irh said:
pidjones » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:46 am[/url]":1yil2irh]
Not much else to do until weather changes. That could be next week or four months the way East Tennessee weather goes.

I know the weather in that region well. Born and raised just over the hill in Hickory, NC.

Latest posts