Bertha's Single Carb Conversion Chapter Deaux Plus a major transplant revival

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured out the throttle issue. I have full throttle range all the way through the top cam of the accelerator,was rather simple actually.

I went choke forward, so I positioned a corner bracket (2 by 2 simple home corner bracket) on the front bulkhead wall between the motor and radiator. I trimmed one side to 1 inch, slotted its first drilled hole with the slot up. I made sure the cable had enough length, and set the bracket on the bulkhead wall (that divider). I was able to cut the existing knuckle MC throttle connection, and crimp and solder an electrical eyelet for twelve gauge wiring. I soldered the new joint as well sense I had some left in the torch and some plumbers solder to use up. The length came out perfect. I had to turn the adjuster back in 4 turns and I had full throttle range. Now to pull the choke butterflies.

I was very pleased that I did it myself. I actually woke up at 5:45 am went out and turned it out. Cleaned shop and now I am out to order the timing belts, the fuel connector, fuel line and filter, and I now have some budget to look at used radiators just in case. I might just order one. I want to start the bike. Bad.

So the manifold project is near conclusion,. today I have to drill 4 to 6 holes so I can get the tubed to behave a bit better and get the runners sealed down.

cool it was hard for me to post on your ? as it was different than mine ... and the person on the job was you...you werent loss just tieing things up ... sounds like great job

Timing Belts are ordered and I already received a tracking number for first class mail. Looking forward to getting them done, the old ones are rough.

I finished the manifold mounting today. Thanks for the tips on the dremel work and the rat tail file. I was able to do most of the drilling but the other items helps on the alignment of the runners to the intakes. Everything went together well, and I was able to deal with the two runners that were a concerns yesterday, oddly enough they were the ones that needed the most adjustment, but they are nice now.

SO the timing belts are on the way. I need to finish up and get a 90 degree fuel inlet now that I know the thread. The one I have wilkl work, but I want it to come right on from the bottom. The cable re-route went well, and the carb and filter are generally where I imagined they would wind up. With the adapter plate, I have some ideas on a round filter, and I am sure it will work.

Tomorrow I will start on the cooling system. There is a place that is going to test the radiator in Valley City. Damm its 30 miles away, and I have a full tank of gas on the Hyosung. The Oreally guys are pretty sure they have the Gates hose, and they can cross reference the napa number to their line. I don't think I am concerned about heating the plenum. Truth be told, this one mounts much closer to the motor, I don't think there will be an issue. I need 3 feet of fuel line 1/4 inch I believe is what the advice was. I think the Honda dealer should have the filter. Anyway, lots done. Carb install is done. Now I just need to get it turned over after I finish timing it and installing the new belts. And I am hopeful on the radiator, I found a pin hole on the hose. I am hoping the radiator is a-okay.

Found a local radiator, traded the old carbs for it, he pressure tested it to verify it is functioning. Yea, he got the better deal, but I will take a barter for a useless part for one I need any day.

The radiator is like brand new, I mean it is really clean, my contact had it out there for 75, and I see why he would not budge, its in beautiful shape. So the carb trade was worth it, and I got a 220 mile ride in round trip, so like I said, it was a win win. Now to locate he hose and get some coolant, and get to test firing.

Good to have the old ebayer friends around every now and than.

Wont be long now!!!! That radiator had me worried.

Not sure now... :head bang: :read: :shock:

lol

What is recommended? I mean seriously do I need one, I really dont have a heater I guess. But what is being done on this mod if one exists or what is best recommendation?

Well than, what are the odds of that thermostat staying in place? Don't care to have a heating issues again.

Will be mounting the radiator as soon as I hear from the parts store on the new hose. Wally world has a sale on anti freeze this week, so does Oreally. Yesterday was a long ride and I am going to rest my old a** up a bit. I wont the offer I put in yesterday, I have to contact the seller. brilliant Kraig

cant wait cant wait, oh fuel line and havr to see if I can get a 90 degree inlet. Trying to keep it neat in there before I re-add the shell.

Got the timing belts today. Saber Cycle has super fast shipping on the timing belts. 45 dollars door to door ordered Tuesday afternoon at 4pm. Nuff said.

Going to get new rad hose and sundries. Later.

Barracuda brand. Yea Chinese made but point out a Harley over the year 2000 that does not have something Chinese on it either? Yea, it happens to the best of us...lol...they look decent and had good reviews, and the price was a selling point. I will keep you posted though.

I also replaced the fuel lines today, I am pointing all fingers at myself on this one. I was using 3/16 line on the last set up. No more. All gates, and a nice inline filter, I have it in a spot that is accessible, and all is on the 1/4 inch standard. I do have a Honda filter on order, but I am running a Wix for now so I can get it turned over on the weekend. If it works the way I have it set up with teh downhill grade, I should be good.

I got the inlet installed today too, I had it on hand but I torqued it in with gas resistant thread sealer.

Oreally ordered the hose. Its the Gates 21008 like advised, came in at $11.59 so much more affordable than NAPA, I just ordered it. It will be in tomorrow morning.

I am cleaning the timing belts covers, and they are likely going black, might as well get the ones that are pain out of the way before I button it in with the radiator tomorrow. I will be accenting the motor in black, so might as well start here.

Dumb question, the thermostat is behind the inlet on top of the motor correct? Oreally even had a gasket for it. The new regional commercial guy gave me his card and started the paperwork on the shop account. Can you say wholesale! Woo hoo! And they will deliver.

Latest posts