coilsmay be faulty .....Is the neon coil pack an alternative

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure how to test the Martek Ignition ? All I know ......is the 2 rear plugs are not firing..no spark

Joe, Thanks for taking the time to help me....
I wont be able to test that until tomorrow evening...
So as you said in post #24 gnition wires in the right side cover that the ignition from the head hooks too blue wire ....and yellow wires with stripes I think ....switch the wires blue to yellow ...and then yellow to blue ....this changes switch coil the ignition modual operates ....then go to plugs and switch

I dont know where the wires are you are talking about...By the battery, ? by the fuse box area? sorry man.. I want to try and fix myself ..I don't want want to pay someone $80/hr, nor could I....so I am stuck to try to fix ..it myself...I don't want to be just a rider.......i want to know my bike.... thanks again..crowhorse

Assuming green is ground which it mostly is. Follow the wires to where they connect and swap connections of the red and yellow wires. This will reverse which coil is powered by each of the pickups in the ignition. Now the coil that sparks the front will spark the back. Which will be out of time and it won't run. So move the plug wires also front to back and back to front. If the same plugs fire it is the martek ignition not the coils. If the problem moves it is the coils.

Hi guys I have replaced the old coils.. I now have spark to all 4 cyl plugs....It partially starts but as soon as I let of the starter switch it shuts off.... any ideas ...?? and happy forth of july to all !!!

Okay so coils are only getting power from the start switch. either connect the resistor or bypass it to power the coils.
:good:

It s missing the run circuit which sends power through the ignition switch. Not to sound like a broken record but put a relay in the circuit that way the switchgear only needs to run 200ma. :yes:

" It s missing the run circuit which sends power through the ignition switch. Not to sound like a broken record but put a relay in the circuit that way the switchgear only needs to run 200ma."

Will it help to put a relay in? Is that the better way to go?

If it has already been posted on how to install a relay, please direct me there.. Or could you explain how to .. Thanks...

harness has a feed wire to power coils through the resistor. Use that wire to trigger the relay. Run a fresh wire from the battery side of the solenoid through the relay to the coils.

There should be some photos and instructions posted, but it is as simple as Slab said. If you are unsure of how an automotive relay works Google will explain. :good:

slabghost":2iuy5r2o said:
Okay so coils are only getting power from the start switch. either connect the resistor or bypass it to power the coils.
:good:

I would like to try to make sure all is running so I want to bypass as a test,if all is ok I will get the automotive 12 volt relay and instal..

So could someone explain how to bypass as slabghost has suggested.. Thanks

if its not running button out on starter button its either it or the ballist resister wiring from starter button to kill switch to ballist resistor ..it coulb bad too ...and from there to coils ...all the wiring and connectors around that ballist resistor gets hot bigtime and connections are useally the worst there than anywhere in the iggy wiring ....if its running on all four cylinders with button in its running right ....did you unhook the ballist resistor with the old coils an d put in neon coils without ballist if so you have to plug the two wires in the harnest together or it wont run buttom out on starter buttom ...

y
joedrum":cbyb7k6t said:
if its not running button out on starter button its either it or the ballist resister wiring from starter button to kill switch to ballist resistor ..it coulb bad too ...and from there to coils ...all the wiring and connectors around that ballist resistor gets hot bigtime and connections are useally the worst there than anywhere in the iggy wiring ....if its running on all four cylinders with button in its running right ....did you unhook the ballist resistor with the old coils an d put in neon coils without ballist if so you have to plug the two wires in the harnest together or it wont run buttom out on starter buttom ...

Hey joe how are you... yes I put in the neon coils..without the ballast... Do you mean the 2 wires that went to the ballast together?