coilsmay be faulty .....Is the neon coil pack an alternative

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I have the other components to the ignition... I just was expecting to see points... so what kind of ignition is it ?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86069#p86069:16jk6s51 said:
crowhorse » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:45 am[/url]":16jk6s51]yes I have the other components to the ignition... I just was expecting to see points... so what kind of ignition is it ?

We haven't seen it yet, you have it removed in the picture.

There are 5-6 possibilities. gallery/album.php?album_id=1938

here is the some more photos.....I only took that off looking for points to check the condition of the points...Now I see there was no point to that................. I believe the timing is off, but cannot be sure as the 2 rear cyl.. not firing... Try to see if I can get the left coil out.....which fires the rear cyl.....without taking the fairing off...

Attachments

• IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 1977 gw cdi or what.JPG
    1977 gw cdi or what.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 98
okay switch you can switch the coils in the wires ...first hunt down the ignition wires in the right side cover that the ignition from the head hooks too blue wire ....and yellow wires with stripes I think ....switch the wires blue to yellow ...and then yellow to blue ....this changes witcht coil the ignition modual operates ....then go to plugs and switch front to back and back to front ...this gets the wires right for timing ....then start bike ....if the problem of not firing move to the front that means coils is bad ....if the rear cylinders still don't work that means the ignition unit is bad ...hope I explane that good

I've never seen an ignition like that. it is 90' counterclockwise from the points setup or the Dyna setup. Think I'd wait until someone here recognizes that unit. Are there any markings on the unit? Prestolite? Markland? It looks like it has been rotated. Along with the sub base.

If you need to change coils you can use high output with an electronic ignition conversion like yours :good:

Man trying to get the left coil out....They did not make it easy ....without taking faring off..

The ignition is all put together and starts, still no spark from the 2 rear cyl.... I might need to adjust the timing..because I took that apart, but it starts....
What is the white thing 2in long x 3/4 in wide with 2 spade connectors attached to the coil....I can take a picture if needed...

Wow this is really getting bad.. I only have today and sunday to work on it....and where do I get another coil? they don't make them anymore for 1977...or do they ? And it looks like I have to take the faring off to get at the coil nuts..

that's the ballist resistor and I don't think its involved with your problem ...its looking like the martek ignition is bad to me one half of it ..I don't think your going to fix it in time ..they diffintly don't make those ignition anymore ...so point or some over after market iggy is in your future

Do I need the ballast resistor...? Or can I leave it off? Sorry you guys and thanks for the help.... I just dont know which way to with this ....

The flat fours are set up to start on 12v when you press the start button, when you release to starter button the line to the coils switch to run thru the ballast to cut down the voltage to approx. 8 volts for the engine to run on.

Just to clarify for everyone there are ballast resistor coils (8v) and non ballast resistor coils (12v). If you are using a ballast resistor with a 12v coil you are reducing the strength of the spark. Ballast resistor coils (8v) that are run with out a ballast resistor get really hot and eventually split and fail.

Hi, still wish I could use Neon coils on my 77? I have researched and I am confused....Can It be done?Should it be done? and if yes how is it done ? Still on 4 wheels with all this good weather ,not to mention the cost of using 4 wheels...