Hooch breaks a belt...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210464#p210464:38x4vtkz said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 12:34 pm[/url]":38x4vtkz]
can’t believe nobody made jokes on how crazy this was to do :shock: that front tire was les than a inch off the ground ... :smilie_happy: bike was about 10 miles from home :popcorn:

Caveman style, Joe.....we expect nothing less! :smilie_happy:

Sooo true!

joedrum":2m8wlb5h said:
Havnt done any wrenching yet on bike to see how much damage has been done...could one of the moderators change the title to this thread to hooch breaks a belt

And here a new bit of knowledge will surface!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe,
I thought I read your bike specs somewhere the other night. A GL1200 Block, GL1100 Heads, in a GL1000 Frame, is that right? I see online some Gates belts as
T274 for all GL1000 & 1100s, but also a T184? And then a T070 for the GL1200. What belts did you use with the block & heads combo you have? I have 2 '75 GL1000 Parts Bikes, and one '77 GL1000 parts bike, all with heads, but I don't think they match what you have, or do they? I still have a spare pair of low-mileage T274 belts. I know Hondas were really good about cross-year compatibility, but heads and belts? You would know better than I, so let me know if I can help!
-Graves-

If you have a left ignition side head for a 1000 bike it will work for me perfectly ...as far as belts go the 1200 belts is what I need ..they are 88 tooth belts ...it would be great if you could help me out ...and we could work something out ...thank you Graves

Hi Joe,
I'll see about dragging one of the bikes out of storage, and down here to the shop for dissection. Cheers! -Graves-

I have a disassembled (and bagged/boxed) left side head from a '79, but don't know if any of it is good. There was rust on the cam lobes. Let me know if you can't find better...

NAPA sells the Gates T070 timing belt as part #250070 for 15.50 each or their Altrom Brand #TB4070 for 14.00 each. And the boxed 79 head "pidjones" is offering would certainly be quicker than what it will take for me to pull one, lol! -Graves-

Thanks everyone ..it’s for sure not easy to find a belt in stock at any places that carry them ...I spent all day in basically Orlando fla and finally came up with one belt ...this only led to the fact I have bent valves and hopefully that’s it ....with the mountains of other problems going on in my life I am simply overwhelmed... I will try to get the will to take hooch apart with all the other things I’m also doing maybe today ...

Hope it is just some valves, or at the most a head. This head isn't pretty, but if you need it give me a shout. I cleaned some of the valves on the wire wheel and they looked a lot better than I expected them to. Right now they are all disassembled with the parts bagged and marked. They are '79 heads, though - which means you would want to use your earlier cams anyway.

Attachments

• 20190619_105920.jpg
    20190619_105920.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190619_105954.jpg
    20190619_105954.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 141
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210499#p210499:391e3xgn said:
GTC@MSAC » 2019-06-26- 19:41[/url]":391e3xgn]
NAPA sells the Gates T070 timing belt as part #250070 for 15.50 each or their Altrom Brand #TB4070 for 14.00 each. And the boxed 79 head "pidjones" is offering would certainly be quicker than what it will take for me to pull one, lol! -Graves-

Damn that's expensive, I picked up a Pair of Gates T070 for $13.16 off Amazon. But gotta say the original Honda belts with 24k looked perfect, not a single crack I could see.

Sorry 'bout all your problems, Joe. If I may offer a friendly suggestion...put the belt covers on. If even a pebble gets kicked up into a pulley, the belt will likely snap, as they don't stretch.

Oh, I like your towing rig!

Steve83":hlemq4e7 said:
Sorry 'bout all your problems, Joe. If I may offer a friendly suggestion...put the belt covers on. If even a pebble gets kicked up into a pulley, the belt will likely snap, as they don't stretch.

Oh, I like your towing rig!

He has a custom build, with an old frame made it to a newer motor. He’d have to customize his engine covers in order to make it past the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had custom timing covers but they were made to fit the 86 motor ...the 84 motor was entirely different and they wouldn’t fit ..so I have none now ...and yes if I had some 84 84 covers I’d be using them ...sheesh went from having dam near all parts to no parts at all ...

My mother has had 2 heart attacks in last three days so we are dealing with that