Hooch cooling system pushing out water from cap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok ..when I put the the 84 1200 motor in hooch ...I put the the stock thermostat in the motor ...it seemed to run hotter ...and was using water ...at the same time because of the taller gearing the 84 motor had I was having carb dial in problems ...well there was a hidden problem going on with carb ...the secondary barrel was opening a slightly just off idle messing with the dial in on the carb ...so I got this fixed up and also redid the idle home made jet sleeve on the the carb ..witch is a total mod by me on the weber carb separating the idle and off idle circuit witch was one circuit before ...also have a air bleed mod that goes to the new idle circuit ...also adjusted the throttle plates in the barrels ..the secondary barrel has a adjustment screw witch is fixed as it comes stock ...I broke the pin that kept that from adjusting ..wow this adjustment can really effect idle as secondary has a idle feed to it ...

So did a lot to carb ..

As for cooling system the one thing it was doing was pushing water out under WOT..every time you went there ...if radiator was full when it pushed water out it wasn’t hot ...of course the next time you would do it water would be hotter as the volume of water was dropping ...I got to thinking it wasn’t circulating good ...as when I was idling with the fan on it really wasn’t moving water it seemed ..I had the cap off ....eventually even at idle I could see the water rising up in radiator...and was quite hot ...

Joe, do you have the radiator hooked up to the expansion tank? I know the 1100 engine really pushes water into the tank when hot and pulls back when cooling. If the hoses going to the tank get reversed, you can overheat the engine.

Pic
image.php

As you can see hooch has a front mounted fan ...you can also see no wind deflectors ..also on the other side of radiator there’s no fan shroud where stock fan was at...my opinion on front mounted fans is that they have to block some access of wind to the radiator...my fan will run both ways I have mine pushing towards radiator....so with the problem I was having ..I took radiator out flushed it good ...flushed the block good ...checked water pump out ..all things seemed good ...what I did do was take thermostat out it was a stock thermostat all things looked good ...I replace it with a thermostat I had gutted the center out of it ...that I made for the 86 1200 motor that was in hooch ......put all things back together ..and have done two test rides .....

The first ride was yesterday and it went well got on it once ...it did not push water out ...it also was noticeably cooler motor ...it was also not a hot day yesterday ...

Today I went for another ride about 50 miles ...much hotter today ...got on it twice ..first time bike was stout and mean just takes seconds to get to 90mph plus rode about 20 more miles ...this time got on it again as always super mean ..second gear bounced hard not sure if wheel came off ground ...hit third hard to bike bounced hard again ...it always amazes me in gear changes how hard the motor comes back in shudders the whole bike underneath you ..I shut it down quickly ...this motor got this 84 gearing handled completely ...who knows what this bike could do ...I’m at a 100mph and just barely into third gear with no let down at all ...

Anyway when I got home let bike sit awhile ..then check water ..no loss of water ...that’s where I’m at now with it all ...carb is dial in the best it’s been since 1200 motor was put in

Yes Gerry I do but it doesn’t seem to be up to the job at all ...I can’t figure out why it doesn’t do right yet ...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214000#p214000:28jnjczt said:
mcgovern61 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 pm[/url]":28jnjczt]
Joe, do you have the radiator hooked up to the expansion tank? I know the 1100 engine really pushes water into the tank when hot and pulls back when cooling. If the hoses going to the tank get reversed, you an overheat the engine.

Hmmm like there’s a arrow on the cap that shows direction ?...I’ll have to look at that LOL

What is it not doing right at this point, Joe?

If coolant isn’t moving into the tank as it warms up, then out of it as it cools down, then something not right. A leak somewhere.

I'm not understanding. Is it pushing water into the coolant overflow tank, or out from the cap itself?

Because if it's the later, I thought there's an automotive radiator cap for about $10 that'll work on the Goldwings. I know it is throwing money at the problem, but if it doesn't work, you could always use the old radiator cap to build a pressure/vacuum test system.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214007#p214007:17ayqkor said:
saganaga » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 pm[/url]":17ayqkor]
I'm not understanding. Is it pushing water into the coolant overflow tank, or out from the cap itself?

Because if it's the later, I thought there's an automotive radiator cap for about $10 that'll work on the Goldwings. I know it is throwing money at the problem, but if it doesn't work, you could always use the old radiator cap to build a pressure/vacuum test system.

That’s hard to know at the moment ...it seems to be pushing out through the hose and out the over flow line on overflow tank ...my theory is this motor developers huge power ..with that is huge heat ....it seems to pushing more water than overflow tank can handle ...it’s obvious to to me it’s power definitely overwhelms the frame and stability...so thinking the same type thing going on here ...now that I seem to be much better at radiator ...I’ll look into tank deal tomorrow ...seems there a circle clip that holds all the cap stuff together ...as for radiator cap it is practically new cap ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214009#p214009:2f917yb8 said:
joedrum » Today, 12:58 am[/url]":2f917yb8]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214007#p214007:2f917yb8 said:
saganaga » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 pm[/url]":2f917yb8]

That’s hard to know at the moment ...it seems to be pushing out through the hose and out the over flow line on overflow tank ...my theory is this motor developers huge power ..with that is huge heat ....it seems to pushing more water than overflow tank can handle ...it’s obvious to to me it’s power definitely overwhelms the frame and stability...so thinking the same type thing going on here ...now that I seem to be much better at radiator ...I’ll look into tank deal tomorrow ...seems there a circle clip that holds all the cap stuff together ...as for radiator cap it is practically new cap ....

That doesn't sound right, unless it is boiling over.

Let me check, with the full disclaimer that my engineering skills are 20 years out of date.

At 14.7 psi (sea level) water boils at 212F. Radiator pressure cap is 13 psi, so we get roughly 27.7 psi total pressure in the system, which means water should boil at 245F.

Assuming the system starts at 60F and holds exactly 1.00 gallons of water, it should weigh 8.3lbs. At 240 degrees, that 8.3 lbs of water now occupies a space of 1.06 gallons - an extra 6.4 fluid ounces.

I can't picture the expansion tank well enough to determine if that's a problem at the default cold fill level. But that's less than a cup of water.

The expansion tank cap hose barb that leads to the hose to the bottom of the tank connects to the radiator cap barb. The one that just goes to the top of the tank goes to the ground. If reversed, any pressure would force expansion tank contents up the improperly connected center hose and out of the tank. Also, don't fill the tank over the high mark.

Well all I can say is with restrictor plate in thermostat position ..the expansion tank works fine ...so no clue why with thermostat in place things didn’t do right and it pushed water out ..very hot here today also motor ran cool it seems

As said during all this expansion tank was hook up right ...the one thing I did was put a new clamp on the hose going to tank from radiator..water could have leaked out there didn’t seem very tight but not really loose either had one of those spring clamps on it ...only other thing was thermostat change ..it looked fine but who knows ...

all Things seem fine now ..with the restrictor plate in ..instead of the thermostat ...why I not sure ...1 this is fla land of 100 degree weather with 100% humidity also 2 hooch is no regular wing ...I don’t know of one modded 1200 that runs like hooch does and its power ...power means heat ..so the % of heat I’m thinking just overwhelms the cooling system and it appears obviously the thermostat operation ...I’m thinking the water wasn’t pushing out the cap bur out the hose wher it hooks to the expansion tank ...it had a spring clamp there ..but I could pull it off and push it on with clamp in place ...so that’s where I think it was leaking...I replace the clamp with a screw clamp and it won’t leak there now ...didn’t ride it today so report on bike ...but I’m thinking it’s all handled ....

Ok did another test ride ...50 plus miles ...most of the ride was fine ... at the end I really got on it ....shut it down at 90mph just takes seconds ...rode about 1/2 mile maybe water started coming out dripping on motor ...it was hot today so good day for testing ...sheesh ever since this 84 motor been put in this has been going on ...as son as I got home I instantly dug in ...no sign of water coming out around expansion tank ....loosen the cap .one notch on radiator water stared coming out and it was hot ...only one spring clamp left on system and it’s at the radiator hook up ...being there is nothing showing around radiator as for leaking I’m saying it cooks off quickly and gone ...I’m back to thinking that this motor so modded and more powerful that the radiator system is just not good enough to handle the motor now ....in all out power is applied...the overflow line at the expansion tank is really small it seems ...I need to get to the problem here ...I’m starting to think the radiator is just to small now as is rest of system ....need thoughts here ...I’m thinking the the taller gearing the 84 motor has made this problem surface ...as it makes this motor talk totally different and producing more heat .... :headscratch:

Help us out Joe. Where exactly do you see water coming from?

I know that at speed, before I added the radiator wings back on the Slug, she would come near to overheating when out on the highway. Bought a set of radiator wings and the temp gauge rarely goes over half at speed now.

If water came out when you popped the cap one notch, then the expansion tank is working and you have water/coolant up to the tank also keeping the radiator topped.

This may seem dumb, but what are you running for coolant? I made the mistake of adding straight antifreeze when I thought I had added 50/50 on my last trip to Florida. At lower speeds she was ok, but under highway loads she would run right at the top of the gauge with the fan running full blast plus the radiator wings. Change to 50/50 mix again and still running cool to this day (with a working thermostat).

Latest posts