Hooch cooling system pushing out water from cap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214041#p214041:crf1qb1k said:
pidjones » 16 minutes ago[/url]":crf1qb1k]
Try a head gasket re-torque? Possible for heat/pressure of hard acceleration to be causing exhaust to leak into coolant causing overpressure.
My thought also. The engine power isn’t the problem. The cooling system is capable of handling the heat load. Besides, increased heat won’t transfer to the coolant instantly. My bet is the system is getting over pressured.

Seems like that might be best next move to try something. .... but I must say radiators do have to be matched to motor ...knew someone who turned there tractor power up from a 175 hp to 250 hp ...by changing the the injection pump setting ...it was totally unusable till a bigger radiator was put on tractor ...it blew coolant out the cap also ..but these set ups use no expansion tank system at all ..out the cap was only way out ....bigger radiator cure the problem ...later on tractor blew output bull gears ...that was the end of the tractor ...to much power for the radiator and drive gearing ...

I will retorque heads ... but in all this checking out so far I’ve not seen one air bubble at all ...but this does make since ....

I agree. In Arizona summer, of course the temperature gauge will Spike on a Goldwing, but it shouldn't push water out unless it overheats. That takes a lot. For me hard running never does it. Idling in heavy traffic will.

Plus, while I know Hooch is strong and perhaps built like no other Wing has been before, it's still basically a stock Goldwing. The bottom end, the pistons, and the heads are all factory bits, just mixed up a little. Nothing going on there that should challenge the cooling system design.

The idea that you are over pressurising with the introduction of combustion gas is a compelling theory. I know there is a way to test for combustion gases in the coolant, but I don't remember how to do it.

Hmmmm ...I’ve been trying to think of a way to check cylinder leakage.....I’m thinking I’ll ridei it again get good and pressurized ...not loosen the cap ....let it cool ....then take plugs out ...spin motor and see if there is any sign of water in in the cylinders ...seems if it is leaking while running ...once off and pressurized it should leak back the other way some ....hmmmm ....I guess one could also take one plug out a time and run it and look for cooling. System change in operation ...this hole time I’ve been not seeing what I consider good flow in the radiator...I’ve also seen no air bubbles either ...but will for sure retorque heads ...first thing ....sheesh

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214054#p214054:4sb4o7y4 said:
joedrum » Today, 3:00 am[/url]":4sb4o7y4]
Hmmmm ...I’ve been trying to think of a way to check cylinder leakage.....I’m thinking I’ll ridei it again get good and pressurized ...not loosen the cap ....let it cool ....then take plugs out ...spin motor and see if there is any sign of water in in the cylinders ...seems if it is leaking while running ...once off and pressurized it should leak back the other way some ....hmmmm ....I guess one could also take one plug out a time and run it and look for cooling. System change in operation ...this hole time I’ve been not seeing what I consider good flow in the radiator...I’ve also seen no air bubbles either ...but will for sure retorque heads ...first thing ....sheesh
Sounds like a good plan.

It seems entirely possible that a higher than stock compression value at higher RPM could blow past the head gasket, and only at higher RPM. ... Then relax and seal at lower RPM. Is that a thing that can happen? I’ve never experienced it.

Hmm...if the compression can blow past the head gasket at higher RPM, what would prevent that gasket from blowing out after reaching a compression that exceeds the head's ability to seal?

I wonder what operating cylinder pressure is in a 'wing? What it goes to under hard acceleration. We have ~175 psi just cranked over with the starter motor, without combustion (which begins well before TDC). Something I've usually seen from a head gasket leak is combustion products (carbon mainly) and milkyness in the coolant. Remember, the water jacket is seperated by only that thin metal ring from the combustion chamber.

I had an S-10 that blew a radiator hose going up a steep hill due to a head gasket leak and too-high pressure radiator cap. Motor hadn't even warmed to operating temperature yet. Milky coolant and black scum on it. Re-torqued the heads, replaced that hose, and never had another leak. Steamy exhaust is an indication usually, but sometimes it's combustion into coolant only.

Someone here posted years ago with something similar going on. Turned out the filler neck was bent in such a way that kept the cap from sealing tight. Could be that simple.

You've been having heating problems on this bike for many years. Have you ever changed the radiator?
Even though it can appear flow through the radiator is fine, a large portion of it can be plugged.

Well Dan it got the best radiator I had yrs ago ...seems you can buy a aluminum radiator new for 190$ ...well after pidjones post ..I really went all out to figure this out ...and the news is not good ....fill the bike up water ...ran it with cap off at idle ...kept the motor cool by having hose on the radiator ..seemed perfect ...but after about 5 minutes I seen one air bubble come up ..kind of shocked me ...them again about 5 minutes later again another bubble same size as the first one ....sheesh I thought to myself ....did it one more time like clock work it seemed ...motor still running cool with the hose on radiator ...sheesh that works good ...so then I did what I hardly ever do ...I revel the motor really hard several times ...I got bubbles to come up ....not a lot but bubbles ...repeated it ...same thing ...seems like it took about 20 seconds maybe less for bubbles to appear ...so there’s no doubt a gasket is leaking ...waiting for it all to cool ...might retorque heads but not thinking that’s going to help ...sheesh

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214074#p214074:1ghpb4ex said:
dan filipi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:04 am[/url]":1ghpb4ex]
I figured it was head gasket leaking, just didn’t want to say.
:whistling:

Well rather discouraging... I’m about to just give it up ...the quality of the head gaskets are so poor for these bikes and there no upgrade gaskets ...just these ridicules goo gaskets ...it’s becoming clear they just won’t last in this bikes motor...

I not sure dan ..I just don’t run the bike sitting still forever ...it’s obvious it’s barely leaking right now ...as it runs great and done many 50 mile runs ...you can think what you want about the power the motor has ...in this set up ..but it would spit gravel at idle going up my driveway in Indiana ... it’s just coming clear the gaskets won’t last ...and with the load of the 84 motor put on it with its gearing has made it worse ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214079#p214079:2t3jiu2n said:
joedrum » 14 minutes ago[/url]":2t3jiu2n]
Well rather discouraging... I’m about to just give it up ...the quality of the head gaskets are so poor for these bikes and there no upgrade gaskets ...just these ridicules goo gaskets ...it’s becoming clear they just won’t last in this bikes motor...

What head gaskets are you using? For some reason, I thought you were using a copper head gasket.

I tried them a while back ...that was a totall no go ...problem is the head bolts are no where near the cylinders ...and the gaskets are not even solid piece of material ...there made out of steel mesh coated with goo and cured ...with a fire ring on the cylinders ...the goo in the water jacket area is constantly in contact with the coolant ..it always starts disappearing there and eventually the fire rings loose goo also and gaskets fail ...there all made the same ...Joel use Honda gaskets on his bike and it’s not a high output motor and his bike blown at least three head gaskets I’m thinking ...just very marginal product as it’s made ...so I’m in a stall mode right now ...he’ll the gaskets cost a fortune and they aren’t worth 10$