hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, it does have early cams. I am beginning to wonder how the 1200 with 1000 heads would work with 1100 cams. It would pull a better vacuum down low. It might give up a little bit at top end, but could be a good trade off and help with the idle issues and more torque in the useable ranges. The 1100 cams were about right in the middle between the early cams and the 78-79 cams as to duration and the lobe separation angle. One piece I wish I had hard and fast facts about is the lift of the cams. in the Trevor White article, he shows the 1000 as having the greatest cam lobe height, but in another column he shows the 1100 to have a higher valve intake lift. He didn't list the cam base circle so maybe the 1100's had an advantage there. I am dying for this day to get done and go put a new coil on my bike to see if that's what ails her.

I'm pretty sure the lift of 1100 cams is less than the 1000 cams but have longer duration. The specs are here somewhere.

well eric i made the safty thow throw thottle hook up.. i cant stand any more low torque at all ... the throttle twist is right now full circle as it can be ....so to tame the off torque to make it rideable .... it is also very useful in jetting the carb .... i am fixing to go for test ride shortly

:clapping: :salute:

Good job guys, interesting stuff, so if the drilled hole, and it you have decided it has become to large, and is to lean, and goes the other way, or negative in your testing, and you need to go backwards to a smaller hole that you had previously.

You just solder hole closed and re-drill the smaller hole that was your last /best test, or do you adjust the idle mixture screw, providing that you have enough adjustment to compensate.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117519#p117519:30ygxbzj said:
westgl » Mon May 12, 2014 9:41 am[/url]":30ygxbzj]
:clapping: :salute:

Good job guys, interesting stuff, so if the drilled hole, and it you have decided it has become to large, and is to lean, and goes the other way, or negative in your testing, and you need to go backwards to a smaller hole that you had previously.

You just solder hole closed and re-drill the smaller hole that was your last /best test, or do you adjust the idle mixture screw, providing that you have enough adjustment to compensate.
Epoxy, solder closed, whichever works.
I'm concerned the torch heat may warp the plate so I'd most likely use epoxy.

well test in ...went about 40 -50 miles maybe ....the ride went great ... hooch really is a rock climber ...sure is sweet to have that ... it just effortless getting around out here on the hilly gravel roads.. and the highway riding was flawless ..hooch getting up to speed is flawless and smooth and very rip roaring fast ....i got into secondary once good not easy to do with the new safety throttle ... but sheesh it didnt miss a beat.....i am sure this bike will get to 100mph quick ...this bike shows no signs of of peaking out anywhere yet ... its always me first to give LOL.....adjusting your curise speed from 60 mph to 85 mph is just childs play to it and it haappens quick.....i am not sure what gear i was in 4th i think ...theres a sharp corner and then big hill i was down to about 1000 rpm and hooch power up the hill and never gave one sign of struggling at all totally impressive ...

on the bad side after i got home i let it cool off and ck the plugs ... they were all the same ..and you could see that they never missed a lick ...but it is still rich looking .. so ithink where im at is just barely in the good zone and need to try a jetting move or increase air still

okay after talking to dan i think i will try a jetting move before increasing air hole ... such good furtile territory i am in :mrgreen: :thanks:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBB5ch-ImzQ[/video]
ok a lot happen in the last few hrs sheesh ....i will explain in another post ..what i did and what happen LOL .....idle video running much leaner i think .. i havnt ran it any longer than video since change

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117623#p117623:1wmf7j50 said:
backlander » Tue May 13, 2014 12:45 am[/url]":1wmf7j50]
Oh man, that sounds good. Smooth and responsive. Good move joe.

not all the moves were good .....WARNING NEVER TRY TO PUT IDLE JET AND HOLDER IN CARB WITH THE MAIN JET TUBE AND ALL OUT OF THE CARB ......THE IDLE JET HOLDER AND ALL FITS RIGHT IN THE HOLE LIKE A PISTON ....SHEESH I HAD TO TAKE THE ENTIRE CARB APART TO TRY AND GET THIS OUT AFTER SUCCEEDED TO IN-BEDDING TO DEEP TO PULL BY AT LEAST A 1/16" BELOW CARB BODY ...SOMEHOW AFTER TAKING THE CENTER VENTURRI OUT OF CARB BARREL AND USING O RING PLUCKER FROM THE ACCESS THAT GAVE ME WITCH SEEMED NOT ENOUGH AT ALL ...SO WITH THAT AND TURNING IT WITH SCREW DRIVER I GOT IT OUT ...I THINK IT WAS DIVINE INTERVENTION REALLY OR VERY CLOSE TO IT .......ALWAYS HAVE MAIN JET TUBE IN PLACE ALWAYS WHEN PUTTING IN OR TAKING IDLE JET AND HOLDER ....

now that i got the carb all tore apart ..i preceded to driil the throttle plate hole bigger for more air ... i am now at 9/64" hole ....this is huge and is way bigger than 1.5mm weber says is absolute maximum......as i was still rich in plug color even though the ride went perfect.....i also jetted down ... as when me and dan talked this was my first move i was going to make ...when the idle jet follies began ....

what i did was switch the main jets gas jets of primary and secondary and also went down to 50 in the idle jet in primary .....

so as it stands hole in plate 9/64"

primary idle jet 50 ...primary main gas jet 120 ... air bleed 220

secondary idle transition jet 80.... secondary gas jet 140...air bleed 160

boy if the primary barrel leans out good enough showing signs it will ....sheesh the secondary now has got a wallop of jetting going on cant wait to see how acts ....

the video seems rally positive .... we will see what the day brings :thanks:

been rainy all day here ... chomping at the bit to get a ride in on the new jetting and throttle plate hole ....plugs seem to be leaning out but i hadnt ran it much though when i looked.....so finally i tried to sneak out between rains ....just had to ck out the new secondary jetting ...i was rather confident the primary jetting would be good ....

results ...i did not fool other nature ...she seen me sneak out i got soaked LOL

but not before i really hammer the throttle on the weber ..this bike is totally flawless ...it covers the rpm zone from 0 to whatever rpm you shut it down at

i can say now that the secondary barrel has filled all my expectations of what it should do and it pulls from 1000 rpm without balking in any gear

i can say happy now and im sure others are too lol this thread is done ...hooch is 100% weberize

there is absolutly no down side to this mod ...with the mods i did to this carb

closing details of the bike 1000 framed.... 86 1200 short block...1100 heads ...371 1000 cams....C5 ignition....carburation ...type 4 plenum ...1 1/2" grab bar runners to heads ...weber dft 32-34 carb

time to ride :mrgreen:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=94083#p94083:34wldj7s said:
backlander » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:19 pm[/url]":34wldj7s]
I think joe works for NASA but he ain't telling it. This IS rocket science.

Rocket surgery..... :read:

Good luck Joe. I think we are heading down over fathers day weekend for about 4-5 days. Ill be in touch.... :laptop:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117660#p117660:2brsavqo said:
joedrum » Tue May 13, 2014 8:33 am[/url]":2brsavqo]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117623#p117623:2brsavqo said:
backlander » Tue May 13, 2014 12:45 am[/url]":2brsavqo]
Oh man, that sounds good. Smooth and responsive. Good move joe.

not all the moves were good .....WARNING NEVER TRY TO PUT IDLE JET AND HOLDER IN CARB WITH THE MAIN JET TUBE AND ALL OUT OF THE CARB ......THE IDLE JET HOLDER AND ALL FITS RIGHT IN THE HOLE LIKE A PISTON ....SHEESH I HAD TO TAKE THE ENTIRE CARB APART TO TRY AND GET THIS OUT AFTER SUCCEEDED TO IN-BEDDING TO DEEP TO PULL BY AT LEAST A 1/16" BELOW CARB BODY ...SOMEHOW AFTER TAKING THE CENTER VENTURRI OUT OF CARB BARREL AND USING O RING PLUCKER FROM THE ACCESS THAT GAVE ME WITCH SEEMED NOT ENOUGH AT ALL ...SO WITH THAT AND TURNING IT WITH SCREW DRIVER I GOT IT OUT ...I THINK IT WAS DIVINE INTERVENTION REALLY OR VERY CLOSE TO IT .......ALWAYS HAVE MAIN JET TUBE IN PLACE ALWAYS WHEN PUTTING IN OR TAKING IDLE JET AND HOLDER ....

now that i got the carb all tore apart ..i preceded to driil the throttle plate hole bigger for more air ... i am now at 9/64" hole ....this is huge and is way bigger than 1.5mm weber says is absolute maximum......as i was still rich in plug color even though the ride went perfect.....i also jetted down ... as when me and dan talked this was my first move i was going to make ...when the idle jet follies began ....

what i did was switch the main jets gas jets of primary and secondary and also went down to 50 in the idle jet in primary .....

so as it stands hole in plate 9/64"

primary idle jet 50 ...primary main gas jet 120 ... air bleed 220

secondary idle transition jet 80.... secondary gas jet 140...air bleed 160

boy if the primary barrel leans out good enough showing signs it will ....sheesh the secondary now has got a wallop of jetting going on cant wait to see how acts ....

the video seems rally positive .... we will see what the day brings :thanks: