Marty's 1981 Goldwing resto

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Dog Tannen":2nnqw8e0 said:
brianinpa":2nnqw8e0 said:
Timing belts are a lot cheaper than heads!

Cheaper than pistons too. They look much easier to change than on the cars I've had.

It takes longer to remove the belt covers than it does to change the belts. Start to finish I have done it in less than 1 hour.

brianinpa":1wy4qpcd said:
Mad Dog Tannen":1wy4qpcd said:
brianinpa":1wy4qpcd said:
Timing belts are a lot cheaper than heads!

Cheaper than pistons too. They look much easier to change than on the cars I've had.

It takes longer to remove the belt covers than it does to change the belts. Start to finish I have done it in less than 1 hour.

I took me at least 4 hours to do it on my old Civic. Then againt the belt wasn't the only thing I was fixing. :builder:

So I finally got my bike registered in my name as a non op and title. I haven't had much time to work on it, I did get a 4 carb sync toolm and some other stuff like a polishing/grinding wheel, but here are some picks of my other rides.
318768CE-4449-4847-B40F-B028E2F44E99-1056-0000014EF0028263_zpsa1b7ca7a.jpg

8C75D60D-A7D7-45D9-A547-FCCDA31865B8-1056-0000014EFB9C1C38_zps0b2ed7d9.jpg

8ED44165-20A4-42FB-A1BE-8BD4A4E04E55-1056-00000139A3D4817F_zps13c519be.jpg

I got the gas tank out today, it looks a bit rusty and in need of some paint. The rear tire needs replacing and the wheel needs refurbishing. So far the drive looks ok. I will try and just inspect and re lube/polish/paint it. I want to get steel braidied lines for air and brakes. I also managed to rip out the 3 wires outof the connector that goes to the generator :head bang:

Here is how she sits...
D0321209-025E-4205-8380-60B7C61C9CF2-2660-000002EFFCBBA5CB_zpsd61cb913.jpg

This bike reminds me a lot of my old air cooled volkswagens. I've had 9 of them.

Oh and in an unrelated story. After having a motorcycle endorsement on my New Jersey liscence for 4 years. California is making me start over with a learners permit.

Does that mean that you really don't know how to ride a motorcycle if you are from New Jersey?
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Ansimp":52h9ylcm said:
Does that mean that you really don't know how to ride a motorcycle if you are from New Jersey?
Hey!!!! :shock: ......Now wait just a minute!! :smilie_happy:

Ansimp":35atqr1m said:
Evidently the person behind the counter thinks so.
Dmv folk is a different breed.

He was poor ably getting back at me. Over the course of 2 days. I've spent about 5 hours at the DMV. I had to transfer my license, get my MC permit, register/title the Wing without a pink slip, register my RC51, register my Volvo get them both inspected and smogged, turn in sales slips for 2 sold cars. I am practically on a first name basis down there.

You should be getting priority service by now, or at least frequent flyer points. :wave:

I have been slacking on the wing the past couple of days cause of school and I had to fix my Volvo exhaust.

I know this is not Wing related but I am exited about the results. Here is what I was working on yesterday. I originally built a 3" high flow exhaust for my bigger turbo, it was in the way when I went to install the hitch so I cut it off and Build a quieter cat back with 2 in series mufflers, it took me about 6 hours start to finish, it is now super quiet!...

F685A169-51B4-4092-8E9F-97A2D2E3372A-1275-0000010D6061F0F3_zps943a799b.jpg

AB52D81B-8C3B-44AD-B827-4A08CF4DB3E4-1275-0000010D460342BD_zps032f7ac1.jpg

I do hope I get to weld some stuff on my wing. I think I will chop the back of the frame off and reweld the brace that goes across right where the shocks mount. I have to get a seat first to see if that will interfere.

dan filipi":3hnb6ii5 said:
Nice work on that exhaust.
I want to go dual with low restriction muff on my suburban.
Looking for any side work?

haha thanks for the offer, I have more than enough on my plate right now. Duals on a suburban should sound nice, and give a little more pep to that 6000 lb beast.

Steve83":340kdi8e said:
Nice work! I sure wish I could weld...

Junior colleges usually have an intro to welding course that is super easy and will tech you how to do all types of welding. (To be certified you have to take additional courses) ...just sayin

Mad Dog Tannen":2x9y5k1w said:
dan filipi":2x9y5k1w said:

haha thanks for the offer, I have more than enough on my plate right now. Duals on a suburban should sound nice, and give a little more pep to that 6000 lb beast.
It's got plenty of power, I'm after the sound.
Would really like to yank out the cat but the fine is too expensive.

dan filipi":1cvcaepr said:
Mad Dog Tannen":1cvcaepr said:
dan filipi":1cvcaepr said:

It's got plenty of power, I'm after the sound.
Would really like to yank out the cat but the fine is too expensive.

Yeah I just had to smog my car. It has a 3" (supposedly CA legal) high flow cat on the downpipe and they said that wasn't legal, that it had to be approved by CARB and have a tracking number. WTF! how is your average guy supposed to afford this crap. I think they should just measure whats actually coming out of the car instead of trying to get more money and screwing everybody by nit picking about what parts are on the engine. It may suprise politicians to know that your average citizen can make his own clean burning exhaust system... rant over.

Yeah too many damn CARB rules taking all the fun out of it!

I here it's damn near impossible to swap in a different engine size or type from the one the car came with and pass smog test.

Latest posts