Marty's 1981 Goldwing resto

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at rear fairings that I can chop up and make into a rear fender. I want to find one that is wide and has a cool tail lens.
Front fairings that are small and could cover the weight in the front (I will make the right headlight fit if necissary)
And a different tank/cover that can hide all the wiring but accomidate much lower handlebars. I am going to try and make it sit lower than the stock one.

If I cannot find any good ones ill make it a bit more naked but I kinda want some stuff hidden.

Any suggestions are welcome! :laptop:

I'm bored so here is a photo dump
Some ramdom stuff and some of my past rides...
002-6.jpg

014.jpg

The batmobile...
6d9bf0e4.jpg

GMC Typhoon (I miss this one, but I couldn't bring it to Cali :swoon: )
2643f15e-1.jpg

F4i
fd7d1047-1.jpg

My other F4i
b75b4a5c.jpg

Dodge Ram
034.jpg

Bronco
64ada25d.jpg

Si
Camera033.jpg

I got the back welded and bround down. I'm going to sand blast it this weekend. After looking closely at the wheels, I think I will just clean them up recoat them and regrease the bearings. I also ordered a different tank cover, front headlight, and rear taillights. I also cleaned up the block so I can paint it tomorrow. I am getting exited about starting to put some stuff back together. I decided to keep the front weight on and hide it with a small fairing.
760AD995-6998-4EAF-85AC-7948965E259D-129-0000001B6812ABD8_zpsa3ccb594.jpg

353D6E2D-1555-4E49-9C5E-EE59480B32AB-129-0000001B72A2C1B2_zpsac1bdc6a.jpg

The engine has a light film of dirt still so I'm going to use breakleen on it this time and then it should be ready for paint. I'm still not sure what color I want the body work when I am done. Any suggestions are welcome. Right now I'm just thinking monochromatic. But the tank could look kool colored.

It is also tedious, but I want to redo all of the wiring with cloth covered wires all the same color. And tuck them where applicable. I will be keeping the front weight so I can hide the wiring, I was also thinking that a modern fuse box would be nice too.

I would run the modern fuse box through a relay from the ignition circuit so that voltage drop becomes a thing of the past. I would also prefer the relay mods on high/ low beam and the thermo fan.

Ansimp":2tomzje4 said:
I would run the modern fuse box through a relay from the ignition circuit so that voltage drop becomes a thing of the past. I would also prefer the relay mods on high/ low beam and the thermo fan.

Great suggestion! I would never have thought of that. I am a dunce when it comes to wiring I just know how to make it last with good connections.

I will definately do this!

I got my pipes mostly done. I sectioned them, cut off the ugly tips and welded them back together. It looks like I removed one chamber from the can so it should be a little louder, hopefully it did not change the backpressure too much. These are getting sandblasted this weekend too...

82D69D58-C6C7-4531-9549-62371D98C10E-539-00000098E997CE3C_zpse2f43630.jpg

Primer and wrinkle paint went on this morning. I will do the clear coat tomorrow. I am now debating whether I should use the flat or the glosssy clear. The wrinkle paint looks pretty cool while it's wet and wrinkling. I have a busy weekend planned and I am going to try and sand blast the frame, exhaust, wheels and some other little things all on Saturday. I'm doing half of the engine at a time the bottom willbe much harder to clean porbably easier to mask off (I hope).

Has anyone experienced cooling problems by painting their engines ( higher running temperature)?

Latest posts