new to me oldwing 77 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well its getting closer to naked finaly
image.php

image.php

image.php

took the timing cover off and the belts look fine and were install perfectly tension thats great ...now i will use the crank bolt to turn it and check for clearence is right and its timed right ...will check the points setting ...need to fix one carb cap thats missing .....plugs look great and were obviously burning great so many yrs ago ....going to drain the tank 1000s have drain plugs on them ...havnt look in the tank yet ....who knows might get lucky and it will run .....

on a side note checked slabgost 75 thats here and it to is free motor turns easy ...the plugs were running rich on his when it was running last ...all good news so far on both bikes :mrgreen:

did some work on the 77 today .....took the timing covers off to check the belts ....they were on perfectly ...tinsion perfect ...checked for timing of belts that was right to .....it was missing a soleniod so i put the one off the mongrel on there ...had the tank shelters covers off ....turned it with the crank bolt to check clearence .....everything good....then put some power to it ...checked the ket switch instrument all lit up right ....then the moment ...i hit the starter botton ...it turned over fine ...the starter must be in good shape ....so far everything is going good .....

on the down side ....im missing a carb button on one of the carbs like the 1000 have .....also the horn wiring ,horns and even the button on the hand grip is missing also .....the lights wiring for rear is all cut and not hooked up the turn signals are not on but i have them and the front headlight ring and stuff is gone as it had a vetter fairing on it ....theres a leather cover over the light bucket havnt even looked in there yet .....the stock pegs ar gone too ...iwill proably put the foot boards on the 83 and and put the stock 83 pegs on the 77 and see how i like them on the angry dresser ...they were actualy made for a 1100 anyway and didnt fit right on the 77 ......

need to drain the gas tank 1000 have a drain and will flush the best i can and maybe try and start it ...it may just run ....getting closer :mrgreen:

no spark and no gas yet ....now its raining ....so im trying to chase the wiring down to fined the sorce of the no spark indide now tho i need to get the false tank shelter completly off i guess sure is a lot of stuff bolted to it :builder: :heat: :builder: rain dosent look like it will last long ...going to read some on things to help me :mrgreen:

there sure is a lot of steps to bring one back from decades of non use.... :headscratch: :mrgreen:

right when i needed it to work for sure my camera disk quit working working this is the second one ....its probably me ....i took pics of false tank shelter before i strip everything off so i could see how it went back together .....and no pics ... :rant: oh well that the way it gose :crying: now im back to no pics again sorry ....it was fun while it lasted but no funds to replace disk tho ...ithink ill be okay on the shelter ...still chasing spark issue .....once thats done i will set up a clean gas sorce and try to fire it :builder: :mrgreen:

i got seratic spark today on the 77 today but not good spark .....i think wires caps resisters and possibly condenser not working right typical 30+ wings problems with ignition ....so im going to go dyna now as i have three sets and a set of dyna coils too ....thats on the to do list for tomarrow ...im encourage that the electric is getting to the coils tho and im hoping the dyna is going to work great as it did for the mongrel ....just plowing along :builder: :laptop: :builder: it was a big plus having the colored wiring layouts in the tech section :good: :yes: :mrgreen:

just got done taking the heat sheild and thermostat out of the 77 what a job ....now at least i can get to the coils and stuff to change to 3ohm dyna ...and also to the carbs easy ..... :mrgreen:

back to the teck section ...this is not plug plug and play .....77 coils are incased wires pigtail ...hope i can come up with enough wire and conectors to keep going forward :Awe: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

had some morning activities ...but now ready to go after the dyna install .....this sucks about the pics right when i got to meat of things that i could post pics of and everything no pics ....sorry about that guys turning out to be just another blind project by joedrum and his incapable pics and computer skills :smilie_happy: :cheeky: :crying: :mrgreen:

im moving slower than maple syrup out of the tree but idid get the dyna put in and time and have good spark ....have to do some work and maybe get some fuel line for my test gas tank ....but will diffinitly try and run the bike tomarrow....its been a lot of work getting here and a lot of little things kep happening but im good in the feeling i went though things thoroughly ....bike is scattered all over the gravel driveway and yard ...didnt exspect it to take so long but it did and is still going on ....big day tomarrow...but theres no telling what might have to be done on the carbs and gas side of things .... :mrgreen:

ive seem to hit a set back with the the wiring and have lost good spark ...so today i got some help and move the bike to the doghouse so i dont have to worry about the weather .....i did check the compression yesterday and it strong on every clylinder big time ....it was just a finger test but its pretty much what i do always it pretty talented tester :smilie_happy: ...im fixing to go outside and move all the scattered parts in the driveway to the doghouse :mrgreen:

Did you get the wiring sorted out?

There was a dual capacitor and a 2 capacitor setup on the 1000, not sure which years they apply to but the info is in the wiring diagrams in the gallery.

i actualy have the dyna ignition install now ...the dual condenser system is on the 78-79 1000....the 77 is a single condinser system but thats not in play now dan ....i going to have to check the 37yr old wiring more could be a faulting wire that comes and gose ..... :mrgreen:

im going to dan ...i need to hear it ...so i know what ive got in the lower end ...everything so far has been all good signs ....but im some what worried when i seen that the ignition was backwards ...as in when the 12 cylinders were suppose to fire the 34 cylinders were firing .....honda had the wrong colored rings on the wires .....it just shocked me when i figured it out

Latest posts