Painting the "Slug"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearcoat wet sanding finished up to 1500 grit. I was surprised at how the difference between 1000 to 1500 how much grip it has even while wet sanding. When you get to 1500 it finally stops "grabbing" the surface when it is smooth. Mostly minimal orange peel and high spots, but it is time for decals.

I am super happy with how easy it is to install these decals. Just peel the backing, spray the part with the installation spray, slide the decal into place and squeegee the fluid out. Once the fluid comes out from under the decal, pull the top paper off and squeegee the decal for air bubbles. I am very pleased.

image.php

image.php

image.php

The decals have to dry for two days to allow the adhesive to achieve maximum adhesion. If you add clearcoat before that, they will curl off. In two days I will do a "drycoat" of clear over the decals and let that dry. Then it is on to final clearcoat to a gloss level.

I have to review your thread about painting. Was given the news regarding the touch up I need to do with the 1500. The paint is pearl glacier white. Need to do a three part application, base coat, mid and clear. The paint shop is going to loan me an air brush so I can do the work. Will be touching up the affected area and "blending" the base and mid (gives the pearl look), then do the whole panel with the clear coat. Never done this before, looking forward to the challenge.

Final steps completed! :Egyptian: :yahoo:

After wet sand 1500, I had to go to 3000 wet sand with a 3M pad. It was well worth it to get the last bit of orange peel and minor imperfections removed. I bought a small 3M scratch remover kit (similar to a headlight lense repair kit). It came with two foam pads that fit my 3/8" drill for compound and polish. I tried initially with my 7" buffer, but it is too big and unwieldy for such small curved parts. The smaller pads are the same size pads I used for polishing my forks back in the day. Installed the brand new NOS Emblems!

Here are some pics from beginning to end for the side covers:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216211#p216211:jm5fz9yx said:
saganaga » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:52 pm[/url]":jm5fz9yx]
That looks like a professional paint job. Want to come over and paint my truck next? ;)
:smilie_happy:

Yeah, right! This is my first (and last) real paint job. It is a tremendous amount of work and the arthritis in my hands is not happy with all of the sanding, painting and buffing. Hats off to the folks that do this for a living! :hi:

Thanks guys! As much as I would love to hang on to her, it is time to sell. My spine will not be improving with age and I am very thankful that I had a good 12 year riding season again after stopping in 1987. Seasons change, and this one is almost over. I do have to take one more highway ride to fully test the electrical systems at highway speeds after all of the changes made to the wiring system. I am very confident all will be fine. I have built many a vessel with seriously complicated electrical systems to operate very complex machinery. The "Slug's" new electrical is just an offshoot of that experience.

Latest posts