Stella and her new alt. up on the table (of sorts) wish us luck

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Jerry!

File comment: ready to be welded the alt. fits in place of the brass coup. I added the 1/8x1 piece onto the end because I did not like the way the alt. moved a little when out on the end the bolt.

Do you mean the alternator sort of "rocks" on the bolt?

I used a 1/2" bolt and drilled the alternator mount to accept it.
Pretty rigid that way and leaving it a scosh longer with a nut on both sides I could adjust it front to rear for belt line up and carb clearence.

(Click to my gallery for more alternator mod pics)

image.php

image.php

Yes that is it, I did not want to depend on the adjustment bolt to stiffen it up.
I can see where a 1/2 bolt maybe would have done the trick never thought of that. :doh:
I stacked up washers to get the alignment the measured them and made a 1" spacer same size. I am pretty sure it will very solid when welded even with 3/8 bolt.
Jerry
P.S. I think I created a album now just need to figure out the link to it.

jerryinmich57":1qfvfz8w said:
Yes that is it, I did not want to depend on the adjustment bolt to stiffen it up.
I can see where a 1/2 bolt maybe would have done the trick never thought of that. :doh:
I stacked up washers to get the alignment the measured them and made a 1" spacer same size. I am pretty sure it will very solid when welded even with 3/8 bolt.
Jerry
P.S. I think I created a album now just need to figure out the link to it.

Yep you got it.

After you click on the picture another window will open.
Use one of the link options below the image to link to it.
Copy and paste that link into your post.

Curious, what is the front most bracket for?
It has a 45 bend in it.

dan filipi":2vhml8zr said:

Curious, what is the front most bracket for?
It has a 45 bend in it.

That is the 1/8 x 1.00 strap I added to stiffen up the mount it will be welded to the angle iron on the bottom then the 1.00 spacer is welded also I will pull the bolt out and replace the brass with the alt.
Jerry

it looks good to me ...the one thing id mention is ...you might want to weld a spacer at the mounting bolt hole ...the length of witch will increase the leverage it has over the mounted altinator ...if weld up towards the brace you have there in the pics it would certainly be stouter bracketwise

this is probably overkill ...but thought id mention it

Ok Stella has new timing belts on, and a mounted pulley and a pretty black lower alternator mount, now to work on the top mount.
If I did this right there is a link to the album and todays pictures after I hit submit we will see.
Jerry

Ok so I got the top alt mount done tightened her up flipped the kill switch hooked up the battery turned the key and hit the start button and guess what! :beg:
The pulley and the alternator spun just like it was supposed to do. :music: :smilie_happy:
So on to the radiator.

dan filipi":2efdcgxh said:
I'm really looking forward to the radiator install.
Just throwing this out there...(and not from experience) but is there any other of the newer motorcycle radiators that are thinner that could fit without modification?

mcgovern61":3jfiz9uh said:
dan filipi":3jfiz9uh said:
I'm really looking forward to the radiator install.
Just throwing this out there...(and not from experience) but is there any other of the newer motorcycle radiators that are thinner that could fit without modification?
I did look into that some, even having a custom made but but it cost a lot and with another bike radiator there were mounting issues and hose hookups, cap location, a bunch of problems which would really raise the costs.
Modding the stock seemed least expensive.

Ok so today I went in the shop and got the lower rad. mounts done, spaced it out about 1/2 inch 4.00 inch pulley clearance looks good.
So now Stella has developed a complication I believe there is no way the stock fan will work with a 4.00 pulley unless the rad is spaced out at least a inch or more. I will get a fresh look at it tomarrow.
Believe it or not my therometer in the garage said 79 degrees today,it seemed like there were Motorcycles on every corner. :moped:
Michigan in March (I really thought I would have more time) :smilie_happy:

Ok everyone good news I think.
I was out in the garage all morning trying to get the stock fan to work. :head bang:
And as far as I can tell there is no way the stock fan will work even the blades are to thick remember I spaced the radiator out 1/2 inch.
So after lunch I was standing in the garage daydreaming about how to find a fan about 5 or 6 inches and I happened to see my kawasaki 500 ninja stuffed back in the corner.
And I said to myself (Sometimes when I am alone I do that) "hey remember that 500 is watercooled it has to have a fan". :beg:
So I crawled back in the corner and sure enough it is about 6 inches in diameter after a while I got it off. :yahoo:
I don't know how many c.f.m. it is but then again I didn't know how many the original wing fan was either. :smilie_happy:
And with just a little longer add on bracket it fit across the wing radiator it even offsets to fan motor to the upper right corner away from the pulley and alternator.
There are a couple of more pics in my album showing the clearance to everything.
Oh yea the plug on both fans was the same one blue and one black wire in the same positions.
So we get the old girl off the table soon.
Jerry

image.php

thats what i was thinking lst night that fan needed to go to the otherside ...it would seem that a brackit could be made for stock fan to move over to the right side of bike ....this would be a heck of a improvement over other systems ive seen done ...good work

Latest posts