What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213986#p213986:3qnlqm2x said:
joedrum » Yesterday, 10:57 pm[/url]":3qnlqm2x]
Seems good and not very old either ...I’d say it’s restricted to about 1/3 continuous flow
Start a thread about it. I’m curious what the problem turns out to be.

Yesterday, actually. Changed the oil and adjusted the valves....polished the valve covers on the buffing wheel while they were off. Need to order my parts for the fork seal rebuild.

Took the 1500 out the other day for two up trip to the local coffee shop and noticed that the air compressor was not working. No worries for the short term as there was ample air in the shocks for the ride.

Next day went out first thing for coffee with my other riding friends, and noticed the speedometer was not working. No problem, intended to start the yearly maintenance the same day.

Stripped off the plastics, and looked into the air pump circuit. Have the OEM manual that includes the electrical section. Proved the air pump and solenoids worked. Checked the power to the switch, none. Confirmed power at the relay IAW the schematic; however, power through the relay from fuse #10 is at the relay but not on the downstream side. Bypassed the relay and the air circuit worked as expected, but no dash display when raising or lowering shock air pressure. The pressure indicator button on the switch works and there is a readout on the LCD display of the shock pressure. Plugged in a different relay and grounded the power from fuse #10 to ground and the air circuit worked as expected, but with no dash display of the shock air pressure change, increase or decrease. Stop increasing or decreasing the shock air pressure, push the pressure indicator button and get dash display.

Have perused the forum for info and found two older threads: https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16316 and https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10743. These threads are poster children for my issue.

The only element that I have not taken apart is the dash, but I'm leaning towards the LCD display being the issue because fuse #10 power through the air pump relay has to go to ground through the LCD display. Any suggestions will be appreciated, and the search is on for the LCD.

The speedometer issue is straight forward. Took the speed cable off the wheel gearbox assembly, disconnected it at the dash, and no turn. After 25 years need new one. Took the front wheel off and disassembled the speedometer gearbox assembly. The plastic gear was stripped clean, and the 2 washers that are supposed to be there are not. Lots of play in the steel gear in the unit. Have new cable and gearbox assembly on order. Decided to bite the bullet and not jury rig the system.

Will be changing the front brake pads. Planning a trip across Canada and back, want to duplicate the trip we did last year to Dawson City and back. No issues and only used 1/2 quart of oil in 7400 Kms. Bike has some 174,000 Kms on it.

Going to paint the meter panel, shelter, rear speaker plastics and such to freshen up the look. Once you start painting pieces gets addictive and you "look" for items to do, go figure.

Always something.

Time to end my rant. Cheers

Mystery solved, just a good senior's moment by myself. Took less than 30 seconds to confirm all is well when you do it properly. Need to press P-Check and then the increase/decrease buttons. Been a few months, but should have read the instructions.

Always something good comes from these rabbit hole escapades. Know where the connectors are for the system and did find a couple of connectors that were not latched tight.

Will still look for an LCD just in case.

I got my summer windshield installed today. I had saved the pop-out vents from the Windjammer on my old BMW...I cut some holes and fitted them up. I did some wet sanding and polishing to get out some of the scratches (this was the windshield that was on the bike when I got it...it was pretty gnarly) including the scratches i gave it while i was cutting the holes...didn't spend a lot of time on that since I'm looking WAY over it anyway. Lots more airflow in the hot weather...it'll probably suck if I get caught in the rain :BigGrin:

Attachments

• summershield.jpg
    summershield.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 99
Spent the day reconstructing a saddlebag lid. I lost it on the highway yesterday. It was an extra 75 mile round trip but i found it...well, most of it. Whole front section was gone....several cracks throughout. I started with some ABS cement and plastic window screen to give it some structure. I cut a piece out of an old fairing lower for the strip around the front. Then I used the glue and screen, then filled it out with Bondo w/fiberglass. I had it in black primer then found an old can of red spray paint on the shelf that looked close so I squirted it. I'm now on the lookout on eBay and several Facebook pages for a good replacement but until then (which may take quite awhile) I have a functional lid again.

Attachments

• KIMG0133.JPG
    KIMG0133.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 186
  • KIMG0134.JPG
    KIMG0134.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 181
  • KIMG0135.JPG
    KIMG0135.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 180
  • KIMG0139.JPG
    KIMG0139.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 180
  • KIMG0141.JPG
    KIMG0141.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 180
My foot was feeling pretty good so I headed for Ohio, 276 miles yesterday. sorry no pic's, last week the other part of my neighbors tree fell and snapped a couple power poles taking out the electricity for a day and it took down the DSL line and i'm not good at posting using my phone

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218211#p218211:47zk7xkv said:
detdrbuzzard » June 28th, 2020, 4:05 pm[/url]":47zk7xkv]
I did what I seem to do best
file.php

file.php

file.php
It's not what you seem to do best, it is what you do best. You need to put together a book on this subject, Murals of The US. These will all be gone one day and no one will have chronicled this for posterity. I enjoy these posts.

Rode the '79 to a Harley dealership to pass out bike show flyers. They were having a swap meet in their parking lot. I was a bit surprised at the attention the '79 drew at an HD shop!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219081#p219081:3p2c4bma said:
mcgovern61 » Yesterday, 9:54 am[/url]":3p2c4bma]
Had a person click the, "Buy It Now" button on selling the "Slug" only to have then not pay or respond. Relisting! :head bang:
:cheeky:

rode over to visit mom and made a few stops on the way home

Attachments

• 20200913_153525.jpg
    20200913_153525.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200913_145025.jpg
    20200913_145025.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200913_143738.jpg
    20200913_143738.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20200913_145628_001.jpg
    20200913_145628_001.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 104
Got a grip done today.
buttoned up install of clutch and new clutch cable.
installed ROX 5" riser, extended all cables and electrical lines.
greased and torqued steering head bearings.
serviced front shock oil with fresh ATF.
lubed speedo and tach cables.
did not install front wheel, going to drop off to get balanced tomorrow.
now doing some light reading on torque specs and re-install procedures.
tired.

Well I got the old girl back together finally. She has been in a long sleep. Back on the old bike again. More parts on it's way. Need crash bars sold my last set with the 77. Running on 1500 coils and Dyna. Good to hear it run again.

Latest posts