What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Valk seat has a metal bracket hanging down at the front of the seat....the 1100 has a tongue that slips horizontally into the mount. I cut a piece of wood to fit in the tongue and cut a slot in it for the metal bracket. The seat was against the saddlebags so I spaced them out about 1/2" on each side. It's rock solid but lifts off if needed. I had to remove the brackets for the Markland backrest...that I never used. If anyone wants a Markland backrest for an 1100...$50 plus shipping and I'll give the money to Hanni. I'll post pictures soon

Yesterday, my son and I hopped on Hondas and rode from home, up to the motorcycle museum in Anamosa, Iowa. We went up US61 to Highway 64 and across, but on the way back, we stayed on 64 all the way to Preston, went south through Goose Lake, the Elvira, Low Moor, and Princeton. Nice day to ride. He had no difficulty with the CX500D- he's got it to the point that he can lay the bars over on either the right or left stop, and creep it around in circles with his feet up on the floorboards... but the DOT won't let him take the test yet, because he doesn't turn 18 'till December.

Which really confounds me... for the following reason:

He took the written exam, passed it perfectly, to get his MC permit. That gives him privelage of riding with a fully-licensed adult, for up to 4 years...

I would THINK that if he chooses to take the riding proficiency test NOW (while it's still summer... er... fall...) they'd let him prove his capacity of the course, then issue him the passign score, and identify him as 'pending age requirement'... so that I don't have to bring him back IN DECEMBER... ?!?!?

Anyway, it was a great father-son day.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212404#p212404:1rhbkuqd said:
DaveKamp » 55 minutes ago[/url]":1rhbkuqd]
He took the written exam, passed it perfectly, to get his MC permit. That gives him privelage of riding with a fully-licensed adult, for up to 4 years...

I would THINK that if he chooses to take the riding proficiency test NOW (while it's still summer... er... fall...) they'd let him prove his capacity of the course, then issue him the passign score, and identify him as 'pending age requirement'... so that I don't have to bring him back IN DECEMBER... ?!?!?

In our state, as long as you have the permit, you can do the MSF course and pass the MSF test and get the paperwork stamped as approved.

I wonder if you could do that while underage, and not turn in the paperwork until December. May be worth calling.

I finished something that's been on the back burner since I got the wing in 2013. When I bought it the left mirror was cracked. About that time was when I met Wolfie and he gave me a pair of mirrors that came off the first 1100 that he customized. The left mirror was loose though, as many of them end up. I tightened it the best I could and have been living with it ever since. Today I got brave an decided to try to remove the cracked glass from my original mirror and replace it with the convex glass from the good right mirror that was sitting on the shelf. I first warmed up the mirror and rubber in the cracked mirror with a heat gun. I then used one of those little picks that Harbor Freight sells (set of 4 with different tips, orange handles). I was amazed how easily the glass came out...the cracked glass came out in one piece! Repeated the process with the good mirror and it popped in with ease.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212555#p212555:6zgq7nnq said:
bib » 55 minutes ago[/url]":6zgq7nnq]
I finished something that's been on the back burner since I got the wing in 2013. When I bought it the left mirror was cracked. About that time was when I met Wolfie and he gave me a pair of mirrors that came off the first 1100 that he customized. The left mirror was loose though, as many of them end up. I tightened it the best I could and have been living with it ever since. Today I got brave an decided to try to remove the cracked glass from my original mirror and replace it with the convex glass from the good right mirror that was sitting on the shelf. I first warmed up the mirror and rubber in the cracked mirror with a heat gun. I then used one of those little picks that Harbor Freight sells (set of 4 with different tips, orange handles). I was amazed how easily the glass came out...the cracked glass came out in one piece! Repeated the process with the good mirror and it popped in with ease.

Cool tip. I've never thought about doing that.

Took the Hunley for an early morning shake-down ride over Norris Dam. Felt pretty good. I'll pull #2 plug this afternoon to see if I've beat the fouling problem. Then, I pulled the '79 out, hooked up fuel, and fired it up. For not having the carbs balanced and the time just set static, it sounded pretty good!.

Took the radiator off hooch ,...sort of a hassle with the front ride off stand ...flushed the block out and the radiator ...had palm sander ready to tape on radiator but could see it needed no deep cleaning ..so didn’t do it ...caveman sonic radiator cleaner LOL...checked water pump out ..all seemed good ...took out thermostat as I was having problems when getting on it hard it would push water out of the cap ..replaced it with a restrictor plate deal I made with about a 3/8 hole in it and a small up high ...went for ride it seemed to do much better ...but I’ll have to ride it more to know for sure ...

One thing is for sure on this bike the colder the motor is the better it runs ...when I hit third gear it caught me off guard a bit really bounced and took off ...this bike goes pass 90mph like most wings go past 50mph ...I had to quickly shut it down or I’d been flying pass a 100mph

Also rejetted the idle ..and adjusted the throttle plates ...seems I’m finally getting the 84 1200 motor dail in ...what a battle it’s been ...as I’ve said many times all motors are different when dialing carbs in or carb ...I think I could pull a plow with hooch it’s got so much torque LOL

If you have a spare thermostat, try gutting it except for the "hoop" and ring which will provide some flow resistance. The pump eats more power and puts heat in if running at unrestricted flow. This is what we did on old 400 & 421 Pontiacs.

I had a thermostat in it ...it was working fine but the bike would push water out at WOT as said ...I basically took the restrictor plate out ...and used the thermostat the 84 motor came with ....it justvdoesnt do as good as restrictor plate does in hooch ...with it restricted but continuous flow does

And yes that’s what I did ...restrictor plate is gutted thermostat ...it still has spring and plate ...but the center is is gone ..hole is about 3/8 to 7/16” I’d say ...as said it could push water out ..WOT ..but it wasn’t really hot ...it seems problem is it revs so fast and can’t push it in the motor fast enough with thermostat in and pushes it out the cap ...I didn’t test it long but it noticeably was cooler running and pushed no water out so far ...

Latest posts