What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya wanna know what I did? :rant: :sensored:
I just got back inside from bein in da geeerage for the past 2 hours.....rebuilding the friggin front master cylinder. I HATE having to do stuff...I prefer to pick and chose what/when these things take place. For the past couple of days, I've noticed a drip of fluid on the fairing pocket on the right side, and discovered the master was leaking out the end, where the lever pushes on the piston. I had checked the fluid level Sunday, and dint happen to see it leaking then, but I s'pose it was. Anyway, I got it done, and back on & bled. Got a tie-wrap snugged up on it for overnight.
Dam snap-ring down in there is a PITA!! :sensored: :rant: And I have the tools! Also, getting the main piston with the seal back down in the bore is a PITA, too..... :builder:
And, just to make it more interesting(as if it weren't already), the danged florescent light over my workbench decided NOW would be a good time to take a dump, leaving me with only one light on the OTHER side of the garage to work with....I had to get a drop light to finish. :head bang:
What next? :crying:

Looks good, Tony!

My sympathies, Joel - the snap-ring and seal in the front MC is indeed a PITA! And I did mine when I wanted to, not when I had to!

I installed the new headlight on the '83. It looks and works good, now to hide all the wires...

Right back at you Steve, nice naked.
What is it they say Joel? "When it rains it pours" , hopefully you have a new front MC now that is leak free :yes:

worked,on my 82/1100.adjusted valves.new plugs.set idle.still smokes.i just bought,this bike.from my brother.he,s only,got a short-time,left.here..the big-c..is-in him.i,ll take the heads-off next..or I,m putting-it,in my bar-house.in a display-case..i,still got my 85/1200 interstate single carb...to.ride..after some starter-clutch problems.are-addressed. :rant: :whip: :Awe:

Yea I remember that snap ring, spent the better part of the day trying to un snap it. I could get it compressed but as soon as I started to move it It would lose its grip and snap back in, Thought about taking the tip of one of my thin tipped SR pliers and putting a small mushroom on the tips just enough to enter the holes and not pull out when compressed and pulled.
I ended up buying the 20 dollar motion pro angled ones rather then fooling around.

Don't ask Joel.. Don't ask.. if you ask for patience you get tribulation to build up your patience.... and just think you got it in front and the back... lol

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116555#p116555:12zlnai3 said:
Steve83 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:43 am[/url]":12zlnai3]
Gerry and Joe, nothing but positive thoughts and prayers for you both! Let's all get healthy!!!

Same from me too!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116445#p116445:1xpnuyjc said:
oldhondajamie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:34 pm[/url]":1xpnuyjc]
Got the 78 motor out of my trunk and into the shed between rain storms

yes change the cams in the heads ... if its the ignition cam make sure you get the machanical advanced switched too ... the 75-77 cams are the best cams for oldwings and the 78-79 are the worst or mildest cams ... witch didnt do what they wanted from it at all ... night and day difference

best to ya :mrgreen:

ok this was suppose to be a pm ...LOL after sending one to brian and now posting it in the thread ... i give up LOL :Doh2: :hihihi:

Took a sweet cruise to the dam today. The weather was warm but nice enough to wear my Italian attack fit leather jacket. Crystal sure is happy at 85mph. :cool:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVEjrd3JSGE[/video]

~O~

Pulled the head from the 78 donor motor and disassembled it, every thing looks real good. Will take into work tomorrow for a good cleaning then off to machining center to check for flatness. (its great to have this kind of resource available). The rest of the donor looks good too great candidate for future rebuild. Thanks again Brian.

Attachments

• IMG_0315[1].JPG
    IMG_0315[1].JPG
    80.3 KB
  • IMG_0317[1].JPG
    IMG_0317[1].JPG
    71.2 KB
  • IMG_0318[1].JPG
    IMG_0318[1].JPG
    86.2 KB
Gerry, Hope all goes well. Prayers and best wishes for you and Joe. Thanks for the tip on the cams Joe will certainly use the 77 cams

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116603#p116603:rgexelab said:
oldhondajamie » Thu May 01, 2014 7:12 pm[/url]":rgexelab]
Pulled the head from the 78 donor motor and disassembled it, every thing looks real good. Will take into work tomorrow for a good cleaning then off to machining center to check for flatness. (its great to have this kind of resource available). The rest of the donor looks good too great candidate for future rebuild. Thanks again Brian.
file.php

If the motor is original to the frame it was in, Joedrum can tell you about how many miles are on it because he has the speedo that came off of the bike that motor was in...

Pulled the head from the 77 yesterday, found my problem
IMG_0326[1].JPG
The head looks ok just that exhaust valve on #1. The cylinder and piston seem ok just a little scaring on the piston and some discoloration on the cylinder wall from the blowby on the exhaust valve
IMG_0329[1].JPG
Will use the 78 head and valves with my 77 cam to put it all back together.
IMG_0327[1].JPG
IMG_0328[1].JPG

Latest posts