What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I went to the garage to work on the tappet noise coming from #2 cylinder. But before I got started I wanted to check the fit of the new sport fairing I ordered last week. It didn't fit because the stock headlight is too big. I remembered I had a H-4 headlight bucket for a CB750-F that I never installed and sold the bike. So, I begin changing out the headlight.

Got the headlight bucket and H-4 installed, but the light would just barely glow. Checked the voltage and it was only 7.5 V.

Started chasing the low voltage, battery read 12.4 V. Following the main wiring from the battery the first connector I un-taped was burned, cracked, and rusted. Cut out the bad stuff and ran new connectors and wiring. Cleaned up a bunch of crappy wiring done by previous owners, and I now have a very bright headlight.

But, the turn signals didn't work. Opened up the headlight bucket and found I had failed to connect a ground wire. Connected and now all is good with the lights - again.

However, the fairing is still on the shelf and the valve noise is just like it was when I walked into the garage this morning.

Removed the bags and the reflector. Pulled the rusted mufflers out. I zip tied the HD mufflers to the frame and using a piece of house wiring, shaped the sample for the exhaust pipe, both sides. Going tomorrow to look for a shop to bend my pipes.

Not today, but Friday - crashed my Ol' Wing. About 4 blocks from the house, low speed, helmet on. I have no idea what happened. First thing I remember was waking to EMTs and police, seeing my bike laying on its left side, and a black Ford SUV parked next to it. They transported me to the horsepetal, put 5 stiches in my left elbow, treated and wrapped the part of my arm that looks like hamburger meat, and sent me home. The Constable and a neighbor brought my bike home. I have no idea what happened, but the driver of the SUV said he didn't see me.

So, I'm on the mend looking at parts - looks like the left timing cover and cam gear need replacing, as does the left valve cover. Won't know what else for a couple of weeks and I get the use of my left arm back. Until then put some cool stuff on CGWs cause I plan to be on here a lot.

Keep the shinny side up - do as I say, not as I do.

Later, Bud...

Ouch!
those "didn't see you" folks are trying to kill us.

Just last Friday, 2 days ago, I am on my last leg getting back home from Georgia where I had given my gl1800 to my son.

I am 18 miles from my house, and I look to the right and see a smallish SUV coming up the merge lane from a side street.

Silver hair never looked to her left once, had both hands at 2 and 10 o'clock with a grim look on her face, staring straight ahead..... the lane she is in, is "her lane", never mind that a Suburban pulling a 20 ft enclosed trailer is about to Merge Her into the side berm.....

sheesh!
I hit the brakes and just let her go.................

Not today, but Friday - crashed my Ol' Wing. About 4 blocks from the house, low speed, helmet on. I have no idea what happened. First thing I remember was waking to EMTs and police, seeing my bike laying on its left side, and a black Ford SUV parked next to it. They transported me to the horsepetal, put 5 stiches in my left elbow, treated and wrapped the part of my arm that looks like hamburger meat, and sent me home. The Constable and a neighbor brought my bike home. I have no idea what happened, but the driver of the SUV said he didn't see me.

So, I'm on the mend looking at parts - looks like the left timing cover and cam gear need replacing, as does the left valve cover. Won't know what else for a couple of weeks and I get the use of my left arm back. Until then put some cool stuff on CGWs cause I plan to be on here a lot.

Later, Bud...
Hey bud, what size is your bike?

I go by this on my way home from work almost every day, yesterday I stopped and got a pic

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_190755984_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210905_190755984_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 95

Later, Bud...
Sorry you had such a crappy day, but glad you were able to walk away, nonetheless. Things like this make me wonder if a dash/bike cam wouldn't behoove all of us. Then again, in my case, it may get me into more trouble when I get a little throttle-happy on occasion, so I haven't gone the dash-cam route, yet. Maybe If I did, though, I'd be less tempted to pass on those double yellow lines when the desire presents itself.