what did you do today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've known a lot of people who think a higher mileage car is shot the first time it needs a repair like that. In my experience, you can usually get by with sinking about $100 - $250/year into such a vehicle and make it run half a decade longer.

If it only costs me one or two car payments to keep an old car running for an entire year, I'm going to keep driving it.

Anyways, progress this morning. The white spots are frost from the cold snap we had - some of the pavers were in the center of the pallet.

IMG_20191117_131823413.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214496#p214496:2v7u8f9d said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:38 pm[/url]":2v7u8f9d]
I’d like to have an old fiero to mess around with

Be careful what you ask for; my friend will probably be flogging this machine for around $500. He had a new starter and exhaust system put in it and now feels like it's a gold-digger. Everytime you fix something on it, something else goes wrong. It's a 4-cylinder automatic and could be fixed for under $100 if you know what you're doing. I do, but I don't want to work that hard!!

I have another Fiero GT in my front yard that I would take $350 for and smile. It has 200,000+ miles on it and needs a computer. It actually ran until it smoked a corroded primary wire; now there are no signals to the injectors, so it starts and dies. It will run if you shoot some starting fluid or gasoline into the plenum. It's a V-6 automatic and will scoot nicely if you can keep running. Overall the interior is pretty torn up.

Got a day off, so rode to lunch. Road was a bit muddy, plenty of snow in the ditches on the way!

No snow around here. Did some more work on the patio. Found the best way to cut pavers in half is just to cut a 1/4" deep notch in the top with an angle grinder to get a clean edge, then use a masonry chisel to score the sides and then break it from the bottom.

A wet saw would be faster and cleaner, but those cost money. Anyways, a chisel is probably the way my stonemason great great grandfather did it. Keeping the old skills alive. Got all the pavers cut except for two specialized pieces around the drain.

I really should take advantage of one of these warmer days to get the Goldwing out again. But the roads have so many fallen leaves. Already almost fell at a stop about a month ago when my foot went down on a leaf.

IMG_20191120_162959126.jpg

Changed trany fluid and filters, oil and filter, fuel filter on the John Deere 345 which is set up with a front blade in case of snow. Tomorrow I'll check the air filter (three years now it has been fine - passes the light test) and put it back out in the shed. Then I can bring tbe '79 GL1000 back into the garage (it's in the other side of the basement right now.)

my nephew came over and cleaned up the leaves for me so seeing that the tintop wasn't blocking the driveway I decided to have some fun on the Mighty CT 70. then the nephew said " you're six feet tall, too tall to stand and ride the minitrail " so I proved him wrong
20191125_172137.jpg

20191125_172044.jpg

20191125_172108.jpg

20191125_172126.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214611#p214611:16ii21af said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:00 am[/url]":16ii21af]
I rotated the pics.

Gee, uncle sure gets blurry when he stands up :smilie_happy:
:salute: :smilie_happy: l :smilie_happy:

For those following along at home, this is what the patio project ended up looking like.

IMG_20191126_153402455.jpg

I'll do the rest in the spring, when the weather warms up and the adhesive for the capstones has a better chance of bonding. We got 9" of snow last night, so I'm done with outside work for the year.

Latest posts