82 interstate refurb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All back together and running well. All the help from this forum was invaluable. I still want to tackle the idle mixture adjustments but it runs pretty well set set at factory starting points. Found an exhaust leak on left side. Replacing that today. Weather probably wont allow me to ride it, though.
Beautiful bike, one to be proud of!

Exhaust leak is resolved. Quiet now so I can hear all the engine noises. Am I being paranoid because I didnt change the tensioners on the timing belts? They were smooth with no play but there is a motor noise that seems like it shouldnt be there. Hard to describe. Not a knock or tick. More of a high pitched hum that changes frequency with rpm. Maybe normal on these older models but with no experience with other similar bikes I have no frame of reference.

When I changed timing belts, after a prolonged setting time, I didn't change the tensioners. When I started the bike I heard a high pitched faint 'squeal', so I ordered new tensioners. By the time they arrived I'd ridden about 100 miles and the noise was almost undetectable. I decided to keep riding and see if it went away, it did and hasn't made a peep since. Tensioners are sitting on the shelf, in case. I'm thinking that the grease in the tensioner may have just needed to be spread back around to lubricate every thing.

I borrowed a mechanics stethoscope and pin pointed the noise in the timing cover, later I used it again to confirm the noise was gone.

Best of luck...

Good stuff there. Thank you.
I was planning on using the stethoscope method to pinpoint. I have more than 100 miles on the motor now and the noise hadn't changed.
Hate to go back in to do tensioners but might be the only option.

Well
I have a few hundred miles on this bike. I have to say it is a very comfortable ride, and runs very well. Learning how to ride it has helped. This bike does not have much low end torgue so I shift it a little differently than my BMW R50 - which is more like a tractor. That helps quite a bit. I also learned the hard way to be sure the saddle bag covers are locked when riding - especially on the highway. Apparently I'm not the only one who lost a saddle bag cover. Bags are plentiful on ebay but very few have covers. I need the starboard side if anyone has one.

I only have a few items I want to address. Timing belt tensioners have been mentioned but I am not convinced yet that there is an issue. I'll follow up on that. The fairing inners (the part you look at while riding) needs some help. It has been cobbled together. The problem is I don't know what they had for covers over all the openings before the PO did his thing. Some of them are "soft" vinyl or something like that riveted to the hard black plastic shell. I am probably dreaming to think any of those parts would be available so I will likely end up fabricating something decent. I may install a stereo system. Definitely want a power outlet so I can charge the phone. Probably just a cigarette lighter style. Simple and easy to find. If I put in a Stereo there will be a USB connector for that. I am also interested in adding a little trim to the bike. This bike can handle some bling. I have noticed pics of Interstates with added trim at the bottom of the bags. I'd like to see what that involves. Looks like part of the guards but haven't found a source.

If you can find my photo gallery, (I struggled with that myself just now), You'll find a reasonably good shot of the "inner" fairing. My '81 "dash" is pretty original and should not be terribly different than your '82. Good luck.

Found your Gallery. That is a spectacular looking bike!!!
So many options I didn't know existed! Brake caliper covers, chrome side panels, front fender guard, all that added bag guard stuff looks great.
Question: Is the lower fairing - under the radiator - a standard thing for the Interstate? I don't have that on mine but it looks like I should.

I see you're in CT.
My maiden voyage on this bike (other than a test ride or two) was to the Black Dog in Putnam. A long way from Branford but nice riding country out there. I own some property in Douglas, MA so I am familiar with the route.

Got the replacement lid. Wrong color.. brown.
I think I found one that is correct. Well see when it arrives.

Anyone in need of a starboard side brown lid.? Decent shape for original paint.

Decided to troubleshoot my temp gauge today. Gauge seems to be OK. I grounded the input g-blue terminal and the gauge ran up as expected. Gauge is fine. Then went looking for the sender. I can't imagine a worse place to locate something like that. My respect for the designers went down a notch. I'm sorry but that's just laziness. From what I can see the sender wire is connected. I can't get to it to do a continuity test so I have to assume for now the wire is OK too. Need to replace the sender. This looks like radiator out as well as the sheet metal brace connecting the front of the motor to the frame. I may as well replace my timing belt tensioners while I'm in there. Thermostat, too.
Thats a long way to go for a temp sending unit...Not happy today.

I'll probably wait until the riding season is over

Another off season project I am considering: I like this bike enough to want it looking really good so thought I'd paint the tins and fairing this winter. I am a stock kind of guy and really like the Candy Wineberry color. I found a color code on line. I also found a decal set that is hopefully a correct repro. Looks like this is a clear coat paint job. Never did that before. Has anyone here attempted this themselves (most people send it to a paint shop). Hoping the auto-paint store can find this color code. Code I found is R114CU

Been shaking out the bugs and getting this bike into acceptable condition to be my go-to rider. I really do enjoy riding it. These last few cold mornings were heaven compared to the little Beemers.
Got a replacement front brake master. The original had a broken cap screw so I could secure the cover. The replacement cleaned up nicely and I used the original innards to get it working, which it does. Also managed to stop the leaking. One thing I am having trouble with is bleeding it. I have been very thorough and diligent in bleeding the dual caliper front brakes but still feels a little spongy. The service manual is no help. "bleed brakes" is about the extent of the description. I feel like I should not be able to pull the brake lever all the way to the grip. If I pull hard when riding (slowly) it does brake pretty well but not as violent as I would expect. Certainly not going to lock anything up.
Is this normal? Is there a secret way to bleed the front brakes that only seasoned mechanics know?
I use a clear plastic tube and a glass jar to bleed my brakes. You can see the fluid and/or air very clearly. It took a while but I can not see any hint of air in the system on either caliper. I pushed quite a bit of fluid through. I do have an OEM rebuild kit coming from Norway and will install that when it arrives. This one seems to be working fine, though except the bleeding issue.

I also got my new sending unit, thermostat and timing belt tensioners. Looking for a rainy day for that job. It'll be nice to have a working temp gauge - even though I have never had one on any of my other bikes.

Resurrecting this thread. Put quite a few miles on this bike last season and have become very partial to it. Everything is put to bed for the winter and I am looking for something to keep me out of the bars. I think I am going to attempt to re-paint the old girl. Not the frame. Frame looks very good. She has some scars but all original paint. There are some faded spots, too. On a different bike I would probably leave the original paint alone but these bikes just don't command the prices to worry about such things. I very much like the original stock candy paint job (wineberry red). I'll have to build a little paint booth in my barn - simple enough. So here is where I could use some advice:
Has anyone attempted this? (not send out to paint - actually painted it) ?
This is my paint code: Candy Wineberry Red-U, R114CU. I have a good automotive supply house to get the paint. I think it's a silver metallic base.
All my emblems are in place and in good shape
I have done some research to find decals with some luck but not exact match.
First question for you painters: Do the decals go on the candy coat under the clear? On a first coat of clear under the final coats?
Have I lost my mind?

Decals for the Interstate have become a challenge. I found a set for the 82 interstate but black only.
The closest I can find is a decal set for the 83 Aspencade in wineberry red. I found them on the KZ900 site. I think they will work on the interstate. The site does say they recommend protecting them with a clear coat. I haven't had much luck with emblems either although I do have all of the originals. A couple are beat up a little but I think I can spruce them up. Everything is off the bike now except the fairing. That doesn't look too bad. Rear fender is pristine so I'll probably leave that alone unless the color of the new paint doesn't match. I don't think I'll replace all the warning stickers. Just don't like the look of them and I won't be "showing" the bike.

I am going to sand all the parts and fill a few scratches, fix a small dent in the tank cover door, prime, follow with a metallic silver base coat, spray on the wineberry candy (that's the hard part) apply decals (might be another hard part - I have no experience applying decals on anything other than models) and finish with 4 or 5 coats of clear. I'll post a few pics along the way in case anyone is interested in the process. Step one is lots of close-up pics so I have a record of how the decals are applied now.

Decals for the Interstate have become a challenge. I found a set for the 82 interstate but black only.
The closest I can find is a decal set for the 83 Aspencade in wineberry red. I found them on the KZ900 site. I think they will work on the interstate. The site does say they recommend protecting them with a clear coat. I haven't had much luck with emblems either although I do have all of the originals. A couple are beat up a little but I think I can spruce them up. Everything is off the bike now except the fairing. That doesn't look too bad. Rear fender is pristine so I'll probably leave that alone unless the color of the new paint doesn't match. I don't think I'll replace all the warning stickers. Just don't like the look of them and I won't be "showing" the bike.

I am going to sand all the parts and fill a few scratches, fix a small dent in the tank cover door, prime, follow with a metallic silver base coat, spray on the wineberry candy (that's the hard part) apply decals (might be another hard part - I have no experience applying decals on anything other than models) and finish with 4 or 5 coats of clear. I'll post a few pics along the way in case anyone is interested in the process. Step one is lots of close-up pics so I have a record of how the decals are applied now.
I repainted a '76 RD400, adding new decals. I clearcoated the paint first, then applied decals, then clearcoated again. Held up great until a Niisan pulled in front of me last Summer. I used SprayMax 2k rattle-can clear. purchased on Amazon. Check with some of the decal vendors on ebay. If they have the files, they can print the decals pretty quick.

Thanks. Makes sense. I'll be using my guns for this so I'd have to lay down a couple coats and let it cure. How difficult is it to place the decals Can you move them after they are down. I think I need to see if there is a video out there by someone who knows what they are doing. So many people make videos showing the wrong way to do things... I honestly have zero knowledge on the subject. My BMWs pinstripes were done freehand by a very talented guy.

Latest posts