Dan's carb reconditioning done on the cheap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I have these carbs here from a 1983 GL1100.

They have not ever been opened, at least they look never opened and completely original judging by the screw heads and idle mixture screws still having the limiter tabs.
(It's very common when a rack is opened up to grind the mixture limiter tabs off)

In this thread I'm going to document every step along the way with video's and clear pictures, how to take a rack of carbs with stuck sliders and gummy floats to a running set of carbs.
AND I'm going to do this with an ultra tight budget replacing only what absolutely must be replaced to bring them back to 100% running condition.

The processes will be each in a separate post within this thread to make future reference to a specific step easier by using the post number link.

I am locking this thread so only I can add to it because this will be a long process from start to finish for me to document everything properly.

So here we go........

The first video is an introduction to the carbs, detailing some of the external parts.
Some of the video's after will be silent with a text narration but in later video's I'll be talking about each part in detail.

Step one, Removing the intake tubes. Carbs are already off the bike.

The intake tubes could be left on but I'm going to soak them so I'm removing the intake tubes so I can use a smaller container:

First loosen the clamp screws so they will rotate loosely on the rubber:

KYWinger":1q7j42mi said:
I chickened out and sent mine off to Pistol Pete's, but for those who are willing to tackle this themselves, this is a GREAT resource - way to go, Dan :clapping:
I'm glad you mentioned this.
The whole idea with this project is to bring this set of carbs back to running condition for the least possible money.
Heck I could have gone down the street to a transmission shop and got 2 gallons of old atf for free but I went and bought it, $16 a gallon.

I want to show that these carbs (and most out there that get torn open and re-sealed) can be cleaned and adjusted with a minimal tear down and I'm suspecting that even though these sat for over 10 years in the California heat, all this can be done by reusing the original Honda seals in it.
For that matter, the O rings on the drain plugs that stayed in the bowls and I could easily change them with one's I have in the $10 harbor freight kit, are going to be reused.

The atf soak is reconditioning the seals.
I really do believe the O rings that Honda used can be brought back to useable condition.

i do i think this is great to start a collection of to the point oldwing backyard tech videos to help us all get things done faster and better than on our own or unable to sorce info you know there in the forum somewhere ....especialy when its me looking for me on something i forgot ....personal problem :Doh2: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :headscratch: :mrgreen: yep pee memory i can rely on :cheeky: :hihihi: this is great

Ansimp":3kjcuhrq said:
How long for the soak?
Until the vacuum sliders loosen and come out, the floats are loose, and all the shellac and tar like junk from old gas is dissolved.

dan filipi":er5v2ylx said:
Ansimp":er5v2ylx said:
How long for the soak?
Until the vacuum sliders loosen and come out, the floats are loose, and all the shellac and tar like junk from old gas is dissolved.
15 minutes in a boiling distilled water bath would do that.

from this....
101_0841.jpg

to this...
101_0840.jpg

dan filipi":er5v2ylx said:
The atf soak is reconditioning the seals.
I really do believe the O rings that Honda used can be brought back to useable condition.
I have my doubts, but I'm watching for the results to come in.

FVoring.jpg

i bet it seals good once soften with aft and put back in place ...i think the soaking is working all the time your doing something else ....like working ...but also your not putting off carb job ...there is no drawbacks to atf soaking period .....week two weeks ....winter carb care ..take them off throw in a bucket of atf ...put back on first day of spring.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: funny but i dont hink theres any better carb care for long periods of out of action carbs

Ya know, I read so so many posts of guys tearing the carbs apart from a runner because it simply runs rich or their having trouble getting a good sync, or 1 or 2 carbs is acting up.

There are obviously extreme cases where, like that one in roncar's pictures and others i've seen, there may not be any choice but to completely disassemble them to get them clean but I believe in most cases a set of carbs doesn't need new seals if handled properly.

I'm sure there are plenty would disagree with me.

Latest posts