Hooch bike backyard motor change out

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics

image.php

I found the longer back cover bolts are good to use lining up stator to seat good

image.php

Stator installed ...its seems the cheap stator discounts are ..it’s fits tight ...line up had to be right ...and the o ring was not good on plug ....the stator lead to the hole was not right ..no way to change that ...so the lead is folded more than it should be ...now it’s ready to go on motor :builder:

Joe, are you sure the heads of those bolts are not going to hit/rub on anything once you put the cover back on? :headscratch:

Oh...and your "sky hook"?....btdt! :mrgreen:

Pics
image.php

You look close and you can see some damage on the rotor rivets where the rotor was hitting the stator some ...nothing drastic that would make me think there was severe damage ...I think this motor was not charging and also making some noise for sure and from there never got fixed ....I use a electric impact wrench to tighten the rotor nut witch is bigger and lower down than the stator nut that turns the motor under the stator plug on cover ..it also was tighten with electric impact ....

image.php

Once I got the cover on ..I check for interference or something hitting from the new bolts used on stator ...everything seemed fine ...now next job is to make cover to close off hole where rear ignition was at ...and motor is ready to be put back in bike ... :builder:

Pics
image.php

As the mind and body started to jump on making a rear cover for ignition hole ..the mind saw quickly that plastic spacer thing that’s used was a perfect cover except for the hole in it ..so then look to fill the hole ...then wento another gasket thinking ...could be rubber or something ...while looking at stuff I had ...seen a used scrubby ..not real bad ...it’s thick squeeze nice between motor and cover ...would act like a vent like thing for rear cover ...easy to cut ...so now we will see if it will work...reality is it’s dicey weathe this motor will fit as I got it in my 1000 frame

image.php

Well it’s done will see if it fits now ...glad this job was simple
image.php

Clearance I have hope it fits ...time to try

It’s a total no go with the unit in place as for clealence ....1000have much shorter wheel base and frame set up ...1100 and 1200 are close to each other

image.php

Got things cleaned up and ready for motor install

image.php

Have no idea if this is going to work ...but rigged up this dolly and motor at what I think is clos to right height and strap together ..going to try and roll it in there and hopefully bolt it in without much fuss ...be neat if it works ...need wheels this big to get around in this fla.sugar sand ...thought I’d post first before try :builder:

You don’t like my 20 dollar white bungee on fender :BigGrin:
image.php

Got front cross bolt in frame and motor ..it’s staked

image.php

Got the rear bottom mount bolt in ...motor is essentially in now ....Next is upper rear cross bolt put in ...then removable frame install ...

image.php

To me this is great method ...on a concrete floor this would be a breeze....amazing what a mending broken back will come up with ...this is my new preferred method of install

Problem there with fender is the front wheel is 1200 wheel modded to 1000 fork set up ...no fender made to fit forks would work with the wider front tire ...I can’t remenber now ..thinking the fender is from a Suzuki gxr ...one day I’ll try and do it better lol maybe paint it the right color ..

I was blessed with head gaskets by a forum member ...who had a set of gaskets for project they decided not to do ...they might get here weds or Thursday ...tomorrow I’ve still got plenty to do to get ready for gaskets .....the piston have to be notched for valve clearence ...
To use the 1100 Heads and 75yr cams ...it will be a miracle if the starter on the new motor works ..looks like someone beat the crap out of it ...I’m sure a starter is in my future ...I’ll try and test that tomorrow...the old motor had a rigged in 1000 starter in it might have to fit it in this motor ....very pleased so far with the results of things ...always a gamble with used motors ...

Latest posts