Hooch bike backyard motor change out

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok piston notching is done ...gaskets are here
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Time to put it together :builder:
image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208121#p208121:1pyzejmc said:
desertrefugee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:39 pm[/url]":1pyzejmc]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208120#p208120:1pyzejmc said:
brianinpa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm[/url]":1pyzejmc]
What do you use to notch the pistons... skil saw?

I wasn’t going to ask.

I've seen him work, so I am not too surprised, plus it's in the picture.

Both heads ar on ...
image.php

Ran into first problem ...timing belt cover won’t fit on the 84 motor it’s different than 86 motor that was in there
image.php

You can see the flange is different...I have no parts to change this ...so now I’m face with no belt covers on the belts ... :builder: :mrgreen:

As with the first motor ..i notched the pistons with a grinder ...I’ve have seen many piston reliefs ...there is sound method in my choice of how i do it ...it’s my belief that in most cases pistons are notched just like valve ...the deeper this ..the longer the piston has to travel before good flow happens ...it’s my view .. the way I do it porvides instance flow ...and that what’s the real job is here ..I improve on this a bit over the first motor ...I watch others do some really drawn out ways to do a much lesser job in my opinion ...I was going to smooth all things out ...but in reality the rough cut with the grinder was exceptionally well done ...my con cern is to what I think works to make the motor not the prettiest picture ....LOL I think like my front fender looks ... i needed a fender that kept crap off my radiator it does that well ...It takes good hands to cut reliefs like I do and why ..I’m not suggesting others do as I do ...for me this took no time at all and heads are back on :builder:

Ok it is running ...I have a few leaks ..one around thermostat-housing..other is I need to make a plate cover for the manual fuel pump housing or see if manual pump will fit ..with 1200 fuel pump in place ...as for running it was supper quiet ...love that so far ...so won’t get to ride it tonight I’d say but I thought I’d post it is running and sounds great...also have to wire up stator connection ...hmmm wire nuts or Honda plug :builder:

Well plate for fuel pump housing will have to be made ...also checking thgearing some seems great too ...so I’m thinking this job is a success ...can’t wait to ride it motor seems strong ...maybe half day of work tomorrow before ride I’d say .....wow I’m really pleased so far this seems to be a great low mileage motor ..if the head gaskets hold good ..things should be great :thanks: to everyone who following

Ok now for the down side ....this concern everyone that uses DFT carbs ....ok the pumbing for the off idle and idle circuit draws in from bowl at around half full ...and goes as low as the mix screw opening..above that is the off idle circuit holes there three of those and above that is an air bleed hole that opens in barrel of primary ...this is all below where the fuel shut off solenoid goes ...seems back in the day people were saying this was not needed ..it was one of the first things I got rid of ..actually think I took it apart for some reason ...don’t have one now ....after really going through the carb lately ..this fuel shut off is a very needed part for this carb period ...when it’s not in there it’s a strait shipon into the motor till the gas falls to the idle circuit feed in bowl ...might not mean much on a car ..but on a small oldwing motor this is not good ...on my bike this can cause flooded plugs and gas in motor deal ...not good at all ...

I need one bad ...so far can’t find one ...my only fix to this is to put a on off switch in electric fuel pump so I can shut it off and run the the bowl down till it quits running ...if anyone has one of these fuel shut off valves they don’t need I’d love to have one ...so I’ve this job to do also ...a manual fuel pump switch I need to install ..seems like a good thing to have anyway ...I’m assuming a switch on the ground side or a connection that can be pulled apart will also work short term .... :thanks:

Pics
image.php

This is the temporary fuel pump switch pluitbin it work :hihihi: oh if you look lower right corner you can see half done fuel pump block off ..no sense going all out till everything proves itself ... :mrgreen:

image.php

Tried lowering forks about an inch to see if this would things

image.php

Ok first ride is in ....motor ran great ....this thing is super quiet ...it seems a bit different than other motor ....idles much better ..as for power it will bring the tire off the ground easy in second gear ....seems First gear might be a bit lower ....and fifth gear is definitely taller ....by my tach is showing about 3800 rpm at 80mph that’s nice ..at 2000 rpm in fifth it showing about 43 mph ...does that well it seems ....as for the fork change didn’t like it at all ..going back to stock ...when I hit it hard in second gear wheel came off the ground did ok for second then started swaying had to back off and regain control ..it was a bit tough to do ...seems like a 200 rpm drop over over 86 1200 motor....very pleased so far

Latest posts