New C5 Ignition fits GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, and GL1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slabghost gets the first production model.

Paul, are there going to be serial numbers etched or stamped into the unit? (You know, so that when our grandchildren start their collection of Classic Wings, they will be all over trying to be the ones owning the C5 models with the lowest serial numbers!) :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141799#p141799:2utqoi6y said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:23 am[/url]":2utqoi6y]
Slabghost gets the first production model.

Paul, are there going to be serial numbers etched or stamped into the unit? (You know, so that when our grandchildren start their collection of Classic Wings, they will be all over trying to be the ones owning the C5 models with the lowest serial numbers!) :yes:

I never thought of that, but I could stamp the back plates. Although we really won't know which bikes all of these will be installed on, I am hoping our customers will share pictures.

Question about GL1200 engine fitment. You stated the cam end needs to be drilled. Could a steel plate be bolted on where the unit is to be mounted, plate have clearance hole for bit, and a magnetic base drill be used as a drill press? Or is this not a sure enough method of drilling hole at 90 degree angle?
Thoughts?

Hand held drill can work if the drill is stationary and the cam turning (motor running). I suggest a pilot hole first to get the feel of it. That is my plan.

with good hands or steady hands ...it is about impossible to make unstrait hole in a spinning strait piece...the tip finds the centers in a non centered piece and the cams are already center punched when the cam was made... this all sounds scary....but i think its nothing ... vs plan is great...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141823#p141823:396edmwa said:
julimike54 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:44 pm[/url]":396edmwa]
Question about GL1200 engine fitment. You stated the cam end needs to be drilled. Could a steel plate be bolted on where the unit is to be mounted, plate have clearance hole for bit, and a magnetic base drill be used as a drill press? Or is this not a sure enough method of drilling hole at 90 degree angle?
Thoughts?

I think since the 1200 cam already has a pilot hole, I'm going to make a bronze bushing that will set in place. I will hand drill/tap while in the engine.
You don't need a 2 inch deep hole, just deep enough for a 6mm bolt.
We certainly don't want anyone breaking off a drill bit or tap so my suggestion is "if you are not a machinist, take your cam to someone who is".

What you do in your own garage is none of my business but we certainly want the installation to be fun, not frustrating. Go slow, use plenty of lubricant, and clean out the chips as you go.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141835#p141835:2v3djtsr said:
C5Performance » 20 minutes ago[/url]":2v3djtsr]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141823#p141823:2v3djtsr said:
julimike54 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:44 pm[/url]":2v3djtsr]
Thoughts?

I think since the 1200 cam already has a pilot hole, I'm going to make a bronze bushing that will set in place. I will hand drill/tap while in the engine.
You don't need a 2 inch deep hole, just deep enough for a 6mm bolt.
We certainly don't want anyone breaking off a drill bit or tap so my suggestion is "if you are not a machinist, take your cam to someone who is".

What you do in your own garage is none of my business but we certainly want the installation to be fun, not frustrating. Go slow, use plenty of lubricant, and clean out the chips as you go.

My experience drilling the 1200 cam is there were no shavings like you'd expect, the drilled material came out more like a graphite powder...which tended to fill up the shavings groove in the drill bit so I had to clean it often. It drilled surprisingly easy with a new drill bit.

Here is the end of the GL1200 camshaft. If you look closely there is a tapered "chamfer" and a short drilled hole.
Dan might have more input, but this is a perfect pilot hole for drill/tapping.

I just measured the diameter and it was between a #8 (0.199" which is 5mm) and #9 (0.196"). The pilot hole for an M6x1 tap is a #8 (5mm) drill bit. I think using the existing pilot hole is going to make the job of drilling a bit deeper so much simpler!

The hole depth is about 12.5mm deep from the end of the cam, but the chamfer is about half that depth. Since a tap has a tapered tip, we'll have to consult a machinists book to determine how deep the hole should be to prevent the tap from bottoming out.

Any machinists in the house?

Attachments

• GL1200 between .196 to .199 dia.jpg
    GL1200 between .196 to .199 dia.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 160
  • GL1200 cam end.jpg
    GL1200 cam end.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 161
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141869#p141869:3tp5k0au said:
Omega Man » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:10 pm[/url]":3tp5k0au]
Any testing on the !500 yet?

~O~

I have to make the encoder post and have not done so yet.

In between working on this Goldwing kit, we are updating our current Yamaha Virago kit, making a new Dnepr flat head kit (K750 in case anybody owns one), and renovating two vintage motorcycles.
Hopefully next week I'll have the 1500 encoder stand off made but I've been spreading myself a bit thin lately.

A few people have been asking for a picture of the complete Goldwing ignition kit.

We are still waiting for the backside gasket, and then I can test fit for proper disc spacing. Everything else is finished and here is what you get. I have coil mounts for 1000 and 1100 bikes. I have not verified a 1200 but GLWrench called me yesterday and said he found one with bodywork removed. I think we might be able to finally bolt on a coil pack and see if our existing brackets work on the 1200 frame. Steve83 sent dimensions but we need to check wire harness and air filter clearance.

Anyway, since we are all sitting here waiting...you might as well drool over Slabghosts serial #001 kit with coil and sparkplug leads.

Attachments

• DSCN0125r.jpg
    DSCN0125r.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 140
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141790#p141790:1jw9pbvm said:
C5Performance » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:07 am[/url]":1jw9pbvm]
I am still waiting for the back gasket but I snapped a few pictures of the housing today. We added the chamfer to the outer edge which I really like. It makes it look a bit more "finished" (my machinists words)

As a machinist I couldn't agree more on the finished aesthetic that a simple chamfer can bring to any product. Chamfers are like trim to a machinist, lol

Latest posts