Seized engine!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Leman, for the continued interest in my OldWing's mysterious coolant leakage disaster.

As a point of clarification, the compression on the offending cylinder actually was around 90 psi, while the other three we at the 180 - 185psi mark. Otherwise, as you suggest, it might have been a case of hydrolock. That happened to a CBX I used to own, caused by fuel leaking into one cylinder while the bike was on the side stand. Not a fun rebuild.

I, too, am more than curious to know what happened deep wiring the bowels of the bad engine. But first I must get busy installing the good one! With my current work demands, the install will take a while.

Once the bike is up and running I might get a "new" set of engine cases off eBay and transplant all the good internals into them. At that time, I would have not only a spare engine(!), but a full forensic view of my bad engine's cases.

Maybe THEN we can find the cause(s) of this whole fiasco.

I'll keep you guys abreast of the situation and include pictures as I go.

Thanks everybody.

Paul

The "new" engine was delivered today! It only has 15,000 miles (not 115,000 - confirmed through a trusted source) so my hope is that all the internals are in good shape.

More to come.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    170.9 KB
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142242#p142242:14ge1v79 said:
Write2Paul90277 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 am[/url]":14ge1v79]
The "new" engine was delivered today! It only has 15,000 miles (not 115,000 - confirmed through a trusted source) so my hope is that all the internals are in good shape.

More to come.
file.php

Looks really good to me. You got a bonus too with the starter motor. Good to have a spare.
Looks to like there was a modification made to the alternator output connector.

:clapping: :good: :clapping:
Does look like a good one. Time tuh git swappin!! :builder: :good:

Good eye, Leman.

Yes, I did notice that the alternator wires are black with bullet connectors instead of the usual yellow wires with a square white Honda connector.

Do you think I should play it safe and replace this alternator and wires with the one from my original engine?

Just wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    146.8 KB
That's probably an aftermarket stator, explaining the black wiring and cover. Bullet connectors don't seem to be any better than the factory spade connectors. You can test the stator wiring first to see if it is shorted or open, rather than open the cover up and find a new stator. Then again, pulling the cover might give you a better idea of how the engine looks on the inside. :mrgreen:

Certainly someone in the past has either replaced the stator or maybe they extended the leads.
I always figured them to be too darn short, an inch longer would have made all the difference.
Your choice between putting your back cover on or leaving it as it is, is an interesting one.
Was your original charging system working OK? What type is the connecter if any and what kind of shape is it in?
Are the wires yellow? I mean the insulation.
You are in the best situation right now or maybe when you have both motors on the ground to do what needs doing
in that area. See if you can pull that black sleeve off and see what is inside it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142302#p142302:298yqfu2 said:
Steve83 » 1 minute ago[/url]":298yqfu2]
I'd be real tempted to pull the rear cover. Give the stator a good look, as well as the clutch.
Me too.
The 84 I got had a cooked stator.

New questions, guys…

My replacement engine, which is supposed to be a 1984, has an oil drain plug in the front transmission cover, between the oil filter and the water pump. And yet, my seized engine, which is definitely and 84, does not. The casting of the oil filter area looks different too.

I've included photos of both engines and the serial number of the replacement engine

What givest?

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    165.4 KB
  • GL1200 replacement engine, supposedly an 85.JPG
    GL1200 replacement engine, supposedly an 85.JPG
    124.3 KB
  • Definitely an 84 Aspencade.JPG
    Definitely an 84 Aspencade.JPG
    105.2 KB
  • Replacemewnt engine serial number.png
    Replacemewnt engine serial number.png
    189.8 KB
Someone will be along with a "for sure" answer. Since my 84 aspy is not here to look at. I'm guessing you have both versions of 84 motors. One made for standard the other for aspy.

Does the replacement engine also have a drain plug at the rear? The front cover might have been replaced with a different year, maybe even from an 1100... Compare the wiring coming from the neutral switch.

84 Standard engine numbers went from 240010 to 24116951
84 Standard Calif. Same as above

84 Interstate went from 2400107 to -on-
84 Interstate Calif. 2400107 to 243513

by the serial number it appears you have a 84 Interstate engine. Having said that, my 84 Interstate has the drain plug in the rear. Did you check to see if you also had a drain plug in the rear ?

Latest posts