Seized engine!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Aapple and joedrum. Good synopsis of the problem. And after almost 9 months of this, I just want this over with.

Yes, there's a lot of coolant in the oil, which now looks like hot cocoa (minus the mini marshmallows).

BTW, I said that the sweet-smelling smoke began immediately at start-up, but now that I think of it, it did take a couple of minutes. I should have also mentioned that up until that point, the engine ran smoothly and idled perfectly -- something that couldn't have happened if the cylinder was filled with coolant from the beginning. So that tells me that initially, the amount of coolant was small enough that combustion was able to place, but eventually drowned out that cylinder.

You're probably onto something with using a radiator pressure tester (which I don't own) and inspecting the cylinder with a borescope (which I also don't own) in order to check for the source of the leak.

But I think it's time for me to man up, admit defeat and continue looking for a replacement engine. It will be spring soon and a just want to ride!!

Many, many thanks everyone.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0139 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_0139 - Version 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 98
Any 1000, 1100, or 1200 engine will fit. There are issues with the final drive but they are not insurmountable.

Hey Dan,

If I could muster up the energy to attack this again, (and if I could find a borescope to borrow), I would be tempted to take you up on that.

My only reservation about this additional test is -- having ruled out the cylinder head -- it would only confirm that the problem is in the engine block. The bottom line would still be a new engine.

Thanks for offering.

I'd like to stick with an '84 1200 so it will be plug n play.

As far as I know, the main differences between my 84 and the newer 85, 86 and 87s is that the late model pulse generator is on the front of the engine, not the back.

What was the problem you mentioned about the driveline being different?

Thanks,

Paul

P.S. I've been told to avoid the Fuel Injected models because of the different cam setup, different water pump arrangement and…anything else?

I'm pretty sure the driveline is all the same for the 1200 models. It differs though on the 1100 and 1000 models. Pretty sure you can use FI model with your carbs and fuel pump. Might be a few other things to change but the motor itself should do fine.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141312#p141312:pk1oye5l said:
Write2Paul90277 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:24 pm[/url]":pk1oye5l]
Hey Dan,

If I could muster up the energy to attack this again, (and if I could find a borescope to borrow), I would be tempted to take you up on that.

My only reservation about this additional test is -- having ruled out the cylinder head -- it would only confirm that the problem is in the engine block. The bottom line would still be a new engine.

Thanks for offering.

Just jumpin in on this thread but I must say I think ur making the right call to just replace it. You still have all them parts that way too since. Most of the engine is still good.

Good luck, I'll keep my eye out for a motor for u

Thanks, bronko37.

I'm tracking quite a few engines on eBay, but that particular auction is for a fuel injected motor, which I'm trying to avoid.

However, if someone can reassure me that (with specific modifications) I can use a fuel injected motor in my carbureted 84 Aspencade, please chime in!

Paul

I think you're best to stay with a 84 motor since then everything will plug and go BUT,
I'm pretty sure (maybe someone can confirm this) the 1200 that comes out of a Standard model 84 and the 1200 from an Aspencade model used a different front wire connector. 84S used a 3 wire, Aspencade used more wires for the gear indicator. Front covers may move over, or just the indicator switch I can't say for sure.

The '84 is the only 1200 with the ignition pulse generators in the rear - the '85 and later has them on the front of the crank. I believe there is a difference in the rear cover bolt patterns. so using the '84 ignition on a later engine might be a challenge. The rest of the differences between a carb and fuel injected engine are bolt-on parts. The right cam has a stub to drive the cam angle sensor, but that housing can be left in place with no problem.

After all is said and done, a good '84 engine would be your best bet. They're out there...Dan picked one up for $40, and it was within driving distance.

Hey guys, the search is over. I just bought a super low mile 84 GL1200 engine (15K miles) and it's less than an hour away from me.

Operation GL transplant begins tomorrow.

As usual, thanks for all your advice and support. I will report back after the "operation."

Paul

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 129
Only problem with changing the engine out is that we don't get to find out what the problem is with the original.
I know that Write2Paul90277 is happy to get back on the road but I for one am intrigued by this problem.
My gut feeling is that it is to do with the cylinder liner somehow as there are really only 2 places
coolant can get into a cylinder from, either the head, which has been replaced several times, complete
with new gaskets, or through the liner itself.
Another thing that confuses me is that if there is that much coolant getting into the cylinder which returns a compression
check as good as it does then it should hydrolock on the compression stroke of that cylinder.
I would love to get that motor to do a post mortem on it, but I an just too far away.

The best of luck with the new engine, and I love the bike, she is a beauty.

:popcorn:
Congrats on the kewl find!! Swap should go nicely, and back on the road sooon!! :moped: