What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washed the road grime off from Monday. Hopefully will get to ride again tomorrow (Friday) :good: :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111770#p111770:1f8exa0u said:
brianinpa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 pm[/url]":1f8exa0u]
Finished the forks and reinstalled them. Now I need to finish putting the front end back together so the bike can hold itself up while I pull the motor out. C5 is just around the corner... I may have to ride it a few days first though.

I need to do my fork seals, a bit of weeping going on the left. How much trouble are they?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111835#p111835:sv63wy5i said:
ebanjo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:04 am[/url]":sv63wy5i]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111770#p111770:sv63wy5i said:
brianinpa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 pm[/url]":sv63wy5i]
Finished the forks and reinstalled them. Now I need to finish putting the front end back together so the bike can hold itself up while I pull the motor out. C5 is just around the corner... I may have to ride it a few days first though.

I need to do my fork seals, a bit of weeping going on the left. How much trouble are they?
Start a new thread asking about doing the fork seals and you will have a much better response!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111835#p111835:2818u9s5 said:
ebanjo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:04 am[/url]":2818u9s5]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111770#p111770:2818u9s5 said:
brianinpa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 pm[/url]":2818u9s5]

Hardest part was the damn circlip! I hate them :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: things! :rant:

Seriously, I just followed the steps in the Honda Shop Manual and it was no problem. I also bought a piece of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" PVC pipe to use as a seal driver that made everything so much easier to reassemble.

I was gunna wash Crystal but realized she was just dusty, one of the hazards of apartment living with the constant use of the driveway kicking up dust. I'm trying to get wifey on the bike for a cruise, but this damn overcast hasn't burned of yet.

Rode again today even though there were a few showers earlier the dreaded driveway wasn't too slippery. Rode up the driveway in the dark again ( same as last Friday except with less beers). The Rats Nest seems easier to handle on the driveway than the CBRs, must be that 19" front wheel and low gearing of the 81s :good:

put the charger back on the Battery BUT it's still 32* and wet snow for today (still) might have to get the JD out if it keeps it up

Rode to Trader Joes and bought a 6 pack.
PictureorVideo273_zps94ade8dd.jpg

It all started out with me wanting to change the flags that fly in the back of the house.... The US flag had become tattered and the US Army flag was also pretty well shot from this brutal winter we've been having...(I've been flying them since my son went into the army and he just deployed to Afghanistan on Monday afternoon with the 4ID 4BCT) So I take the old flags down and am looking for a pair of wire cutters to cut the ty-raps off the flag grommets... I realize that I left them in the garage, so I head out to the garage to go and "fetch" them.....

I open up the garage door only to find that one of the car batteries I had bee trickle-charging on the garage floor almost under the left saddle bag of my Wing, had exploded and covered my motorcycle (1981 Honda Goldwing) with sulfuric acid from the battery.... Saddle bags, trunk, seat, leather jacket also lying on seat, helmet, etc, etc.... so now i had a double-time mission to get the bike out into the driveway and wash it all down with baking soda and water.... Too bad the hose is still shut down for the winter! So I did this whole wash and wax job with a 5 gallon water cooler bottle filled from the kitchen sink and about 4 pounds of baking soda... pretty sure I got it all neutralized and then waxed her back up after her bath... Also ran he for a while to get the blood pumping and all hot and bothered...

IMGP4909.JPG

Unfortunately there was some minor acid damage to the finish of bike's saddle bags (small spots that won't come out with compounding or waxing... might have to try wet sanding), but all in all a lot better than I had expected after finding pieces of the battery's top all the way in the back of the garage next to the dryer...

After that little "fiasco" was over I finally got to replace the flags in the backyard....

IMGP4907.JPG

So I guess I got to wash and wax my Wing today.....

Rich

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112067#p112067:26383epu said:
n2ppn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:01 pm[/url]":26383epu]
It all started out with me wanting to change the flags that fly in the back of the house.... The US flag had become tattered and the US Army flag was also pretty well shot from this brutal winter we've been having...(I've been flying them since my son went into the army and he just deployed to Afghanistan on Monday afternoon with the 4ID 4BCT) So I take the old flags down and am looking for a pair of wire cutters to cut the ty-raps off the flag grommets... I realize that I left them in the garage, so I head out to the garage to go and "fetch" them.....

I open up the garage door only to find that one of the car batteries I had bee trickle-charging on the garage floor almost under the left saddle bag of my Wing, had exploded and covered my motorcycle (1981 Honda Goldwing) with sulfuric acid from the battery.... Saddle bags, trunk, seat, leather jacket also lying on seat, helmet, etc, etc.... so now i had a double-time mission to get the bike out into the driveway and wash it all down with baking soda and water.... Too bad the hose is still shut down for the winter! So I did this whole wash and wax job with a 5 gallon water cooler bottle filled from the kitchen sink and about 4 pounds of baking soda... pretty sure I got it all neutralized and then waxed her back up after her bath... Also ran he for a while to get the blood pumping and all hot and bothered...

View attachment 1

Unfortunately there was some minor acid damage to the finish of bike's saddle bags (small spots that won't come out with compounding or waxing... might have to try wet sanding), but all in all a lot better than I had expected after finding pieces of the battery's top all the way in the back of the garage next to the dryer...

After that little "fiasco" was over I finally got to replace the flags in the backyard....

So I guess I got to wash and wax my Wing today.....

Rich
file.php

file.php

Well, at least you went into the garage. I pray for your sons safety while deployed. May he come home in the same physical and emotional condition as he went.

I just got back from George's(Vegaswingnut) place. He helped me with a fairing repair to the front edge of the right fairing pocket. We discovered the mechanic that replaced my throttle cables had damaged the right shelter breaking both tabs off at the top of the shelter(where the right wind deflector bolts on). Anyway as always George did his magic and we got her fixed up. Down the road I might buy a NOS right shelter in Cambridge Blue for "cough" $274.00.

~O~

That Plexifairing looks really nice Gerry, can't wait to see it on your bike.

Put a new lid stay spring on the Vetter top box, can't believe that I didn't do it sooner like while I was riding in the States. It's the little things that make such a difference.