Bertha's Single Carb Conversion Chapter Deaux Plus a major transplant revival

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the covers are black, yea, they are aged, so paint them black, I will keep the valve covers as is, they encounter foot wear with the boards.

Wish I could pull that exhaust in. Have to see what happens this week in services.

Well, time to read up on the belt swap.

Cleaned and painted the radiator trimming and mounts, I have them apart, and had one half can of basic 4 dollar wally world gloss black, so I thought the sand to those radiator wing to test the look of the bike without the pint stripes. Yes, they have to go. Vivid black will be the color, the fairing will be fun, and the bags are going to be bulky, I will have the skins done tomorrow night.

So I iwll start the morning by changing the timing belts. Than I will re-assemble and mount the new radiator and cleaned up cooling system. I will be removing the thermostat. Closing things up, adding coolant, some fuel, and we will see where it goes from there

Sounds like a good time Kraig. I'll be up to my elbows in mine Sunday-Wednesday. I'm interested to see if you'll have to rejet since we're running close to the same setup. Runners are the only big difference it looks like. Oh! Found a parts bike that had everything I was looking for! The gal was very reasonable on the price and is throwing in a couple boxes with some brand new looking chrome parts off an unknown harley and some body panels off what the thinks was a harley. It all looks new. I imagine the guy got his new bike home and took the stuff off he didn't like and that was the end of it. That deal worked out well. Picking up my 79 parts bike in the morning. I'm hoping to start mine Sunday or Monday! I'll let you know if I stumble on anything worth mentioning. :)

I used the PDF on the NGW site. It was actaully pretty easy since the radiator was already off, checked the pump, seems good. Pulling the thermostat. I will be assembling the radiator after I finish lunch. Than its time to fire it up!

But I can see where issues come up.

Timing belts installed and covers in place.

Attachments

• IMG_20140712_135557[1].jpg
    IMG_20140712_135557[1].jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20140712_141056[1].jpg
    IMG_20140712_141056[1].jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 116
SO after the radiator job is done, I have to pull the carb as I want to pull the choke butterflies for now.

Should I drill the throttle plate below, and what was the diameter of the holes?

Or is this not necessary on the stovebolt carb.

Mine is a 1000. I will test it tomorrow. I got the radiator installed and buttoned up, and I started adding fluid, so far so dry.

I have to run and get gas, and I am pooped. Been at this all week, and I just have to walk away right now. Wife has the weekend off so I am going to hang out with her for a spell.

The thermostat was stuck on this one, so I pulled it. Made a new gasket for the thermostat control, I took the one back with the bad elbow that I got yesterday. But the 21003 hose (Gates) worked perfectly, I just needed to add some space behind the left horn, but not a big issue.

But here is where I am at so far, starting to take shape again. I have to clean up and install the shell tonight so I can mount the electronics. Than I can test fire it in the morning.

Well, I am done for the night, later guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20140712_190616[1].jpg
    IMG_20140712_190616[1].jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20140712_190554[1].jpg
    IMG_20140712_190554[1].jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 113
I'm excited for ya, man! I'm really interested in how those runners are gonna work out! Looks great!

I finished cleaning the shell and its components. Yea 35 plus years of dirt and grime gone. Good feeling, and it adds that certain detail look that IU like in all my ol girls. They are surprisingly clean if people get to them from time to time. Makes finding issues so much easier too. Likle here, I do not have to worry about grounds (I also used dielectric grease on the base of the regulator, and the accessory port.

SO I get to put the shell on in the morning, top it with fuel, and bing bam boom, hopefully out will come a better oldwing.

Attachments

• IMG_20140713_000446[1].jpg
    IMG_20140713_000446[1].jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20140713_000414[1].jpg
    IMG_20140713_000414[1].jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20140713_000351[1].jpg
    IMG_20140713_000351[1].jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 106
ITSSS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahaha...evil goophah....mmmhahahahaha

Franken Bertha is ALIVE!!!!!!!!

It runs, it runs, my goldwing runs!!!!!!

Thank you so much, Joe, Dan, Will, Brian, all of you if I missed someone....thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!............

Latest posts