new to me oldwing 77 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neutral lighting on like that is a common problem caused by carboned contacts in the neutral switch.
A "fix" is to short the switch out with +12 volts for an instant while in gear. Worked on mine though I had to repeat it after 10k miles or so.

No Joe the switch is grounded in gear. Just disconnect the light wire and run a power wire from the battery to it. Just touch it quickly. At least that is what I'm understanding from Dan's instructions.

Ya gotta be careful there Joe since if you short the neutral switch with it connected to the bike wiring you could blow the diode circuit.

What I did was disconnect the neutral wire coming from the neutral switch.
Run a wire from the battery + and touch it for an instant to the wire connected to the neutral switch.

I found this trick on some website.
It was written to do this shorting out while in gear.
I tried while in gear but it didn't help.
When I shorted it while in neutral, the switch worked the way it's suppose to afterward.
Evidently there needed to be a better contact at the switch contact to "burn" the carbon off.

changing side cover hardware from 79 cover to 77 side covers was rough ...had to cut punch drill and punch and twist but finaly got the job done ....the mirrors are finaly on too ...it wasnt easy either ...finaly the bar are all done too ...still have rear pegs to put on ...and thats it ...theres still lots of improvements to be made or bought up to par ....good enough to put some good ride time in on it cant wait :mrgreen:

:crying: well this is the second time ive have been stranded by the 77 on a test trip darn it was hot walking home had to walk about 1 1/2 miles to get home seen one car ....they didnt stop ...

im either having a dyna problem or dyna coil problem or battery problem ...when its running on all clylinders its dose great and kinda awesome feeling....kinda strange riding without fairing on the 77 ....like something missing ....seems to warm up and run great then start cutting out on the right side the it gose out completely

im also suspecting fuel pump i had to change that with one i had but it hasnt done right since i did it

also im thinking maybe battery is toast to and is its junk maybe the stator not working and it simply losing juice to the point of not running ....geee

what ever going on it thank is small but the the list is huge with all the junk suspected stuff on the table .....

im going to name this bike my exercise bike if it strands me one more time ....im sure getting the walking in with it :help: :whistling: :hihihi:

the problem may be something small but could add up to a lot of $$$$$$$. To hot down here for walking :heat: , I have an allergy to walking. :lazy: :smilie_happy: Hope it's not something to serious on the 77.

joedrum":2en2pt63 said:
:crying: well this is the second time ive have been stranded by the 77 on a test trip darn it was hot walking home had to walk about 1 1/2 miles to get home seen one car ....they didnt stop ...

im either having a dyna problem or dyna coil problem or battery problem ...when its running on all clylinders its dose great and kinda awesome feeling....kinda strange riding without fairing on the 77 ....like something missing ....seems to warm up and run great then start cutting out on the right side the it gose out completely

im also suspecting fuel pump i had to change that with one i had but it hasnt done right since i did it

also im thinking maybe battery is toast to and is its junk maybe the stator not working and it simply losing juice to the point of not running ....geee

what ever going on it thank is small but the the list is huge with all the junk suspected stuff on the table .....

im going to name this bike my exercise bike if it strands me one more time ....im sure getting the walking in with it :help: :whistling: :hihihi:

my Buddy has a 78 and he is having the same problems ... changing out the fuel pump tonight .... I will let you know if that helps.

:mrgreen: well joedrumdumb is having all kinds of iggy problem on my 77 exercise bike still walking home from rides ....i either have short in the wiring ...many bad dynas ...or somthing ...so now im on points iggy to try ....so today ive got the new points mounted and the cam mounted on advancer ....put on 77 and it seems to be realy off the cam lobe at the start realy ...im still got lots to do to get it right with the light ....but anybody that has done this latly please post as im struggling to remember the points days .....thanks :Awe: :hihihi: :mrgreen:

the points are gaped for starting point but when on f1 there way off at the very start of cam incline is this about how it looks at first

tomarrow ill take pics of where its at ...and a fresh :mrgreen: start :mrgreen:

well today a fresh start read late last night on it all ...so now that the lawn has been mowed with my reel push mower im ready to get at it ....i will take pics ....seems there some mods that can be incorperated too ....wish me luck this 77 runs great when it runs but ive be :cheeky: :mrgreen: en walking home though

okay theres all kinds of bs thats said about points install .....here a pic of new point s installed on plate

[img
gallery/image.php?album_id=666&image_id=8860[/img]
more stuff later not much here but fat hands :smilie_happy:

image.php