new to me oldwing 77 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in my spare time ive been working on the 77 some ....its proved itself so now im cleaning it uo some cutting it down to see what ws there in the looks and restore roughing ....its seems to be cut in nicely....

ive got the front headslight worked out with a 1100 light ring mix to the 77 chrome bucket that came out rather nice so far as did the forks and all...

motor covers timing and valve came out nice as surrounding areas did

back and front fenders and look good

wheels looking good

paint needs work not there yet

still lots to do but its going to be nice under all the yrs of grime :mrgreen:

been working on the 77 the last couple days ...the lights are always problems on these old 1000s that have been vetterized and the parts long gone thst were taken off ....so i decided to mount the 79 trun signals and stuff on the 77 to do that i had to change the fork ears as there different than the earlier 77 ears...man it was rough getting this done ....the one good part was that with the front drive off stand it made it possible to take the fork legs off whil just on the stand ...heres some pics
image.php

image.php

image.php

well ive been messing with the lights for days ...ive got the lights working but the headlight witch was working but quit when i got everything else working ...77 1000s have a resrve lighting unit on them that might be causing this problem ...im going to try and by pass it with some jumper wires in the connectors that plug into the reserve lighting unit.... :builder:

:cheeky: idont need a can of smoke its fixed ....or i sould say by passed ...i finaly have all lights working ....wow what a battle .... first time i ever fought so hard on lights .... :Egyptian: :yahoo: :mrgreen:

dan filipi":3fj2xp3a said:
I gotta hand it to ya Joe, mud, snow, rain, tornadoes you still get out there and push forward. :hi:

Don't forget with broken ribs, too...

Mark

On my "76, the headlight would quit at times, so I read the wiring diagram, and found the headlight goes through the starter button. That way the headlight goes off while starting. Only it wouldn't come back on sometimes. I could pull on the little starter button and it would come back on. New starter button does it sometimes too. Grrrrr. This could be an issue on yours.

jm

the problem was reserve lighting unit had to bypass that once that was done it was fine ....im close to getting it out to ride ...the old fuelp pump that had sat for 20yrs not moving started leaking bigtime...need to change that and a few small things to be ready :mrgreen:

well i finaly got the 77 out of the doghouse....got it running ...i dont know what to do with all the wires by the hidelight ....forks adjusted ....then it was a scary time getting out of doghoude ...put a 2x10 oak broad down on threshold witch is about 12-16 " tall ..like a seesaw at a kids park ...lined it up and went for it ....up and then down the otherside of door all in one shot ...that was thrilling thing for the day....
went for small ride it did well never missed spit or stumbled at all ...seems clutch need adjustment ...and the fuel pump didnt survive the 20 yr sleep the bike had ...but overall it did fine ...here some pics its kinda dirty as can be :smilie_happy:
pic of threshold i seesaw over
image.php

image.php

https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=666&image_id=8568[img]
[img]https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=666&image_id=8567
image.php

:clapping: :good: Proud for you joe, I went back and read this whole thread to see what all you went thru to bring her back and I am impressed. Your a lot braver than me to ride a 2x10 for sure. You didn't ride in the circus did ya? :smilie_happy:

changed the fuel pump today it seems good ....bike ran well afterwards no leak.....

on the down side or not done list is

nuetral light stays on ...but when pit in nuetral it lights brighter

side covers have no attaching hardware at the bottom ..

one handle bar bolt will not thread all the way down

and passenger pegs ...crash bars if i want them ...and for sure some kind of windsheild

Latest posts