Hooch cooling system pushing out water from cap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214195#p214195:17iptvks said:
joedrum » Today, 9:51 am[/url]":17iptvks]
Seems they don’t make them now under those numbers ...
Call them.

I thought that mother Honda did not sell the same head gasket for the 1000-1200.

If a large corporation trying to cut costs doesn't think the same gasket works across the three engine iterations, I'm going to agree.

They don’t sell the same head gasket for 1000-1200 ...but the 1100 gasket and 1200 heads gaskets can be sold as fitting both ...1000 has way smaller pistons ...a 1100 motor is a bored out version of a 1000 basically ..the 1200 is like a bore and stroked version of a 1000 motor ..I’m sure There are some sellers out there that advertise wrong for sure ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214206#p214206:35fye64l said:
joedrum » Yesterday, 10:43 pm[/url]":35fye64l]
They don’t sell the same head gasket for 1000-1200 ...but the 1100 gasket and 1200 heads gaskets can be sold as fitting both ...1000 has way smaller pistons ...a 1100 motor is a bored out version of a 1000 basically ..the 1200 is like a bore and stroked version of a 1000 motor ..I’m sure There are some sellers out there that advertise wrong for sure ...
Vince (slabghost) had the exact bore sizes of the 3 engines when we were talking about using that company for gaskets on his build. There is a considerable difference between the 1100 and 1200 bore making it obvious for sure the 2 are not interchangeable.

Dan's got you onto something important, Joe...

If the gasket you used, was smaller than the bore, not only would the fire ring not seal properly, it'd protrude INTO the chamber. This has a myriad of consequences... but one of them is that it occupies combustion chamber space... and it could be enough to raise your compression ratio a bit higher than what you may have been expecting. This, combined with an inadequate support surface on each side of the sandwich, would result in a less-than-ideal seal.

The cool thing about Florida, is that you have weather that allows you to ride year-round. Up here, we pretty much hafta store them early November through late March... We roll 'em into a heated workshop and work on them, dreaming of warm summer days riding, whilst the wind howls, rattling snow against our windows... wishing we were in oh... Florida... Texas... Arizona...

So we envy your climate... but the downside is that you guys don't get those five months dedicated to twisting wrenches...

The Last gaskets used were 1200 barracuda gaskets ...the gaskets before that lasted longer were 1100 gaskets ....neither gaskets patruded in the combustion chamber ...anyway this is not the problem that’s going on ...and of course 1000 head gaskets are a total no go ...it’s looking like there is just no choice but to use the stock crummy gaskets or make my own ....wouldn’t be hard to beat thes goo gaskets LOL...but it’s really my belief there should be gasket cones made for the cylinders and then an outside gasket made where the bolts are ...in my opinion the head gaskets are just flat poor in design as it gets ...as I see it the dam fire ring is absolutely pointed in the wrong direction ...as done the are ramped to be flatten out ...and when the goo gets heated and shrinks ..that absolutely what happen ...if fire rings were point the other way pressure would expand them to seal even better ....as said just piss poor set up in about every way I look at it

Joe, I have over 37 years and 76,000 miles on my 1100 engine with the original head gaskets. I am scared to even think about ever having to replace them. It appears that gaskets made today just do not match up with what Honda installed originally? Or, am I riding too easy and not pushing the engine hard enough to expose the issue?

My point, the OEM gaskets seem to work best with OEM setup (1100 heads to 1100 engine). It seems that many of the mix and match setups tend to blow the head gaskets (at least as far back as I remember reading here on our forums).

Not taking anything away from your work or anyone else that has modded their engines. But, it appears to me that modding the engines for more power requires a better gasket and sealing surface than stock Honda or 3rd party has produced yet?

(Plus, I think it makes good conversation if we really work this through with all inputs and opinions.)

I agree Gerry ...there are huge differences...in stock motors and modified motors of any kind of motor .....that’s why I said about some of the Randakks stuff like supercharged motors ...these type gaskets are like a joke in those situations....and this thread is about trying to disgust options ...as it is right now there not much out there ...the one big thing about goo gaskets is they determinate ..I’ve seen this a lot ...and they determinate mostly where they are in contact with the coolant ..this eventually weakens the seal around the cylinders...in fla where temps can high and humidity high also ..the systems have a hard time shedding off the heat ...to bad no one actually supplies a gasket of solid gasket material and fire ring that doesn’t deteriorate in the water jacket area

Okay, did some digging for my own purposes. Using the OEM parts diagram at an online parts supplier.

1979 GL1000: 12251-371-306
1983 GL1100: 12251-MG9-306
1987 GL1200: 12251-MG9-306

Huh, they give an oversize part number for the 1987 as well. I'll file that away for future reference.

For bore & stroke, the numbers I've found say:

GL1000: 72.0 mm × 61.4 mm
GL1100: 75.0 mm × 61.4 mm
GL1200: 75.5 mm × 66 mm

So seems like I was thinking of the GL1000s that have a separate head gasket.

Totally think you should do a DIY copper gasket, but that's just because I want to see if it works without having to do the work myself. ;)

I’ve tried ...there a complete thread on me trying copper head gaskets ...on would have to modify the head and possibly cylinder sleeves too to use copper ..back then the info one could read was about cutting in stainless steel ring into cylinder sleeves ...my personable belief is like the copper exhaust rings fitted deal deals ..they seem to last forever and take very high temps ...and look like they fitted in the angled edge of the cylinder sleeves...but that’s just something in my head of thinking about it

Ok ...I have an idea ...many should get ready to laugh I’d say ...how about trying two goo gaskets with a slice of copper in the middle of this head gasket sandwich...I still have the copper head gaskets ...I’ve been reading about multi layer gasket at the cosmetic gasket sight ..this would be cave man version ....THOUGHTS LOL

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214226#p214226:3vet7ucg said:
joedrum » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:14 am[/url]":3vet7ucg]
Ok ...I have an idea ...many should get ready to laugh I’d say ...how about trying two goo gaskets with a slice of copper in the middle of this head gasket sandwich...I still have the copper head gaskets ...I’ve been reading about multi layer gasket at the cosmetic gasket sight ..this would be cave man version ....THOUGHTS LOL

Well the clamping force I don’t think we’ll change Gerry ..what would changed is thickness of goo gaskets and solid copper spacer witch I’m thinking is 32/1000 ...so I’m thinking the whole sandwich is like 116/1000th ..I’m thinking torque could be increased for better sealing ...just seems to be will two fire rings seal on the copper filler between them ..if anything compression should go down some ...

Yes well it certainly had that done to it many times from previous try on hooch ...
Doing that in this case I’d say up to debate a bit

image.php

Pic of the copper gaskets for sandwich if I decide to go this way ....it is very well machine and be like a spacer that covers entire goo gasket top and bottom ...hard for me think it could leak here ...as always the bottom fire ring will be the weak spot but I’m thinking the copper gasket spacer may provide more push down ...also just way more material at the cylinder sleeve spot ...thoughts

There would be 2 more mating surfaces that have to make a good seal. I think that there is already not enough good clamping force even for a single gasket.

I think effort and money would be better spent on getting better clamping force. Studs and nuts instead of bolts might be a good start.

(FYI, I flipped your picture 180)