what did you do today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fired up the panhead and watch it run for a few minutes and also broke a drill bit.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Recovered a bit from yesterday, when I took the Hunley to a nearby community celebration/car show/skate board exhibition. Parked the bike at our church booth to attract folks to our October 2nd motorcycle/bicycle/crafts show and handed out around 300 bottles of water. At about 2pm I loaded up chairs and bike and headed home for a family dinner for my bday. Then laid around with an aching belly from over-eating.

Drove home from a weekend getaway up north with wifey.
We went to the Winchester Mystery House and did an 11pm Friday the 13th flashlight tour. Saw lots of ghosts, it was fun.

drove the Mustang to Henry's this morning so i could get a mural pic after leaving

Attachments

• 20210818_150235.jpg
    20210818_150235.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 134
I thought I joined this forum to see Classic Goldwings? But I do like vintage muscle cars and appreciate the pride of ownership.
Nice Mustangs. And this thread is titled: what did you do today - not what did you do with you classic goldwing.

I went out to the garage today to adjust the valves on my Ol' Wing. I have one making a heck of a racket. Sounds like it is coming from #2. But when I got out there, I saw this h-4 headlight assembly I've had on the shelf for a couple of years and decided to change the headlight. Got it changed, but it isn't very bright like I thought it would be, almost amber. I think I've got a wiring problem. Something else to fix.

Later, Bud...

Today I received in the post a new brazing torch and sent my diy oxy turbo gas torch to recycle yard as I fitted a new regulator and now the torch failed the whole thing was just too old to be safe.

Fired up the new torch and proceeded to braise up the steel patch on the left exhaust pipe. It has taken 2 years to do this job and on reflection it would have been better and cheaper to take it to shop, but I like the challenge of learning to braize. I could have done with hubbies mig but buying the gas and wire cost just a bit less then the new torch. Rods and flux are for free when I raid garage. ;)

Today I received in the post a new brazing torch and sent my diy oxy turbo gas torch to recycle yard as I fitted a new regulator and now the torch failed the whole thing was just too old to be safe.

Fired up the new torch and proceeded to braise up the steel patch on the left exhaust pipe. It has taken 2 years to do this job and on reflection it would have been better and cheaper to take it to shop, but I like the challenge of learning to braize. I could have done with hubbies mig but buying the gas and wire cost just a bit less then the new torch. Rods and flux are for free when I raid garage. ;)
Brazing is an art and a very good skill to have. Good on you for your new tools. My father used to use coat hangers to braze with, just had the knack.

Not a Goldwing, but I thought some of you may be interested in this picture. Sadly didn't get it replaced today, since the auto parts store sold me an incompatible part.

Problem should be obvious. (Hint: Look at the firewall.)

ETA: The internet seems to tell me this is a JP1 braking system. I think the auto part store is trying to sell a JP3 or JP5 master cylinders.

I did pull the old master cylinder apart. No visible problem with the old rubber. The bore is a little rough on the bottom, so I doubt it's a practical candidate for a rebuild.

IMG_20210930_135426558.jpg

Last edited:
Not a Goldwing, but I thought some of you may be interested in this picture. Sadly didn't get it replaced today, since the auto parts store sold me an incompatible part.

Problem should be obvious. (Hint: Look at the firewall.)

ETA: The internet seems to tell me this is a JP1 braking system. I think the auto part store is trying to sell a JP3 or JP5 master cylinders.

I did pull the old master cylinder apart. No visible problem with the old rubber. The bore is a little rough on the bottom, so I doubt it's a practical candidate for a rebuild.

View attachment 47538
Looks like a '75 to '78 Chevy pickup, with a 305 and 3-speed manual on the column. V-8 without power brakes is pretty unusual. They probably sold you a Master Cylinder for Power Brakes, which is possibly a smaller bore. I see a line for a mechanical oil gauge going into the firewall, not a common item either.

Looks like a '75 to '78 Chevy pickup, with a 305 and 3-speed manual on the column. V-8 without power brakes is pretty unusual. They probably sold you a Master Cylinder for Power Brakes, which is possibly a smaller bore. I see a line for a mechanical oil gauge going into the firewall, not a common item either.

That's so dead on the nose that I'm wondering if I mentioned this truck's details before.

My local auto parts store is apparently unable to order the right part, so I went online and picked one up.

That's so dead on the nose that I'm wondering if I mentioned this truck's details before.

My local auto parts store is apparently unable to order the right part, so I went online and picked one up.
I grew up in, on, and under 1970's Chevys. It's a gift, or a curse, depending on the situation, lol!

I grew up in, on, and under 1970's Chevys. It's a gift, or a curse, depending on the situation, lol!

In a way, I feel sorry. Maybe it's nostalgia, since the 1970s are basically before my time, but I seem to recall my old Dodge from that era had much better clearance than this Chevy.

I don't know why - like most 1970s trucks, there's plenty of space under the hood. It just seems like Chevy goes out of its way to seek minor annoyances with clearances.

Anyways, got the new master cylinder installed. The thing is beefy.
IMG_20211005_142340946.jpg

It's installed in the truck now, but I'm waiting for my wife to get back into town before I bleed the brakes. Hopefully it should work.

Anyways, this is pretty boring, so enjoy this picture of this old IH that my father has at his garage.

IMG_20210924_110813199_HDR (1).jpg

I have a friend that owns a local wreaking yard that has restored his grandfather's IH Wreaker truck very similar to this one, 1940's vintage I think.